Question Monitor to choose for RTX 2060

Dec 28, 2018
Hey I have a question.

I'm looking for a new monitor as my old one just isn't doing me justice anymore.
I would definitely want 144hz. Other things I would want is 24 inch (unless it's really good value 27 inch), 1440p would be nice, and I don't really care about any sort of sync or ips but those 2 are just a bonus really.
I don't currently have the 2060 I have a 1060 but the new one is coming in soon. I want something that will last and an willing to spend a bit extra for something that will.

I've had my eye on the AOC Ag241qx but I
also heard that the screen is grainy looking so I'm not so sure anymore. The Asus vg258q also looks good although it's 1080p but I've also seen negative reviews for that so I'm just really confused with what to buy. I am willing to spend $500-600 AUD (maybe even slightly more if it's especially good)

Btw I live in Australia so please send Australian sites/prices.

Thanks

Last edited:

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Bumping due to inactivity
Lol, what?

Sometimes it takes a bit to get to people's posts, there's a lot of posts and not everyone is available to answer all questions.

We are just a community after all of random people offering advice in our free time.

Patience is a virtue.

Having sync technology is more important than you think, because unless you can run your games at a frame rate equal to or higher than 144fps, then you will get screen tearing and will have to enable V-Sync, which coupled with frame rate lower than 144 will make the 144hz pointless.

Also doesn't help that a 2060 is between a 1070 and 1070 Ti, and at 1440p, don't expect much at settings higher than medium in AAA titles.

But for your budget, you can get a decent FreeSync monitor that is supported by the latest driver update for Nvidia GPU's.

27" - 1440p - 144hz - 1ms g2g response time - $565 AUD
https://www.pcbyte.com.au/aoc-agon-...kers-usb-tilt-height-adjust-flicker-free-vesa

Just make sure you connect to the monitor using Display Port. You have to use Display Port for the higher refresh rate and FreeSync to work.

Dec 28, 2018
Lol, what?

Sometimes it takes a bit to get to people's posts, there's a lot of posts and not everyone is available to answer all questions.

We are just a community after all of random people offering advice in our free time.

Patience is a virtue.

Having sync technology is more important than you think, because unless you can run your games at a frame rate equal to or higher than 144fps, then you will get screen tearing and will have to enable V-Sync, which coupled with frame rate lower than 144 will make the 144hz pointless.

Also doesn't help that a 2060 is between a 1070 and 1070 Ti, and at 1440p, don't expect much at settings higher than medium in AAA titles.

But for your budget, you can get a decent FreeSync monitor that is supported by the latest driver update for Nvidia GPU's.

27" - 1440p - 144hz - 1ms g2g response time - $565 AUD
https://www.pcbyte.com.au/aoc-agon-...kers-usb-tilt-height-adjust-flicker-free-vesa

Just make sure you connect to the monitor using Display Port. You have to use Display Port for the higher refresh rate and FreeSync to work.

Ok sorry for trying to do that I was getting a bit desperate.

Thanks for that advice im looking into it. Im not sure about that one though because it's 27 inch and I've got a desk on the smaller side so I'm thinking 24 inch. To me that also seems the same as the aoc ag241qx I'm looking at except 27 inch not 24. Is there really any difference??

And if my GPU can't support 1440p properly I'm sure 1080 would still be fine then. Is there any good 1080p 144hz with sync then if you say that's important??

Also if I did get the aoc would it still look alright if I drop it to 1080p in some competitive games?? (Still not sure about the aoc though because of the rough looking screen coating ive heard of but it might be the best option)

Sorry for so many questions I just want a good monitor but don't know that much about them.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
That monitor will be fine.

For your budget you aren't going to get the best of the best and some kind of sacrifice will have to be made.

But not getting adaptive sync is just not Worth it.

With adaptive sync, you don't have to worry about getting over 144fps on a 144hz monitor just so you can reduce screen tearing and not use V-Sync which cause input latency.

Instead you can have the frame rate be whatever it wants as long as it's at or below the limit of the monitor and the adaptive sync will force the monitor to adapt it's frame rate to the the GPU output and synchronize them and remove the screen tearing.

1440p at 27" can be viewed at up to 1.5ft away from the monitor.
I personally sit wth my face about 2ft away from my 27" 1440p and it looks fine.

No need to game at a lower resolution, instead just adjust the appropriate graphic settings to where they need to be for high frame rates, while still having just enough detail to see what you need to see when playing competitive.

When playing anything else such as open world single player, it's ok to play at lower frame rates down to 60fps and crank the graphics to get all that sweet eye candy.

All while having adaptive sync to get rid of screen tearing and stutters, while not introducing any noticeable input latency.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts