Question Monitor turning on and off, PC stuttering, trouble came suddenly!

Eselta

Reputable
Oct 13, 2016
(Sorry, this is a longer story, but all in the name of being thorough)
Dear wisewomen and men, I have a headscratcher which, so far, I haven't been able to crack.

TL;DR - My screen is flickering, with random graphical artifacts (lines, colours, dots, icons) on screen, sudden restarts, crashing graphical content (been running Unigine Superposition as a test). Graphics card is new, so is motherboard, CPU, and RAM.

Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x
GPU: Asus TUF Nvidia Geforce RTX 2060 6GB
RAM: 16 GB (2 sticks of HyperX)
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix b550-f
PSU: Corsair RM 850 (850w)

Long story:
Just before December my PC starte crashing when I played games (random moments, never one single reproducable instance, except it was ONLY in games), and it would flicker when I watched streams on Twitch. The crashes would be followed by all the fans rev'ing up to max. Me, being the greenhorn I am, thought: it's the same symptoms as when my old GPU died, better get a new one.
So I upgraded from an old AMD RX 470 to a new GeForce RTX 2060, but the crashes persisted.
So I thought: Well my PC is due an upgrade.
I upgraded from an old GIGABYTE z97x motherboard to a new ROG Strix B550-F, and old i5-4460 to a new Ryzen 7 3700x, and old ram stick (14 GB spread over 4 sticks) to 2 new HyperX 8GB sticks.
Crashes persisted, so I tried a restore on my SSD, but the crashes still persisted and was joined by odd flashing lights in games, and graphical weirdness. So then I tried a completely clean install on another SSD i had lying around.
Still more crashes, so I decided to unplug everything and change the one internal cable I could (between PSU and GPU) and the crashes stopped.

That is until this saturday, after trying to make the "Whoa! Cyberpunk 2077 has flatlined" error go away. Now the PC sometimes has trouble starting up (sometimes it restarts and is "fine"-ish, other times it boots fine, but the screen remains black but turned on), the graphical weirdness is back, and it seems to be what is making my PC not work properly. Every time I boot, I can usually make the screen flicker on and off (turning off for 1-2 seconds and the turning on again, usually happens 2-3 times in a row) by running dxdiag or Unigine Superposition, the latter of which will also often crash. At random times, the screen will display odd colours, random lines, or get filled with icons such as the closing X on a window.

My own troubleshooting includes the following:
Clean install of GPU Drivers (both with the clean install feature of Nvidia drivers, and via the "uninstall device from Device Manager and restart" method).
Repair of Windows
Clean install of windows
Changing PCI slot of GPU
Changing Cables (tried the old one that seemd to be causing crashes in early December, as it's the only one I had)

So, the only thing I'm left with is questions as to what it might be.
My own hypotheses are either my PSU is on the frizz, or it's my cables (might be more than the GPU one), or it's my GPU that need to "RMA" as appropriate.

(some minor notes. I live in Denmark, and bought the GPU in a store. The rest of the upgraded parts were bought online)

Thank you for your help, in advance!

Eselta

Reputable
Oct 13, 2016
GRAPHICS Driver problems
Download the latest drivers for your GPU place them on your desktop get
Display Driver Uninstaller from here
remove everything after restarting it will probably be 640x480 not great instal your AMD/NVIDIA drivers and hopefully should fix your problem

Thank you for the reply RARRAF, but turns out that my sneaking suspicion that it wouldn't work, was true.

I hadn't tried DDU before, but I have tried several different method of uninstalling and reinstalling gpu drivers. (as I said in my post)

Tried your suggestion and, as soon as the pc had restarted and I had installed the newest driver (all while being disconnected from internet), my monitor turned off, and the back on a couple of times (with each blackout lastning 4-6 second) and then it started removing random text from various things, like the ubigine superoosition launcher and even the start menu.

This is why I suspect either power problems or a fault gpu.

But thanks any way!

Last edited: