Monitor was working but moved the system to a new desk and now says 'no signal'

Status
Not open for further replies.

littlejo

Reputable
Apr 15, 2014
I moved my pc which was working completely fine to a new desk. I unplugged everything, moved it across carefullly and then replugged it all back up. Now however, the monitor keeps saying no signal. I think the pc is working fine - all the fans are on, and the system is not blinking. Any idea what could have happened? Tried a different monitor and the same thing! At a loss, and am not a techy person so not sure what to do now.

Solution
Hi all - right it was custom built pc with a i5 processor, CPU0100, Arctic Freezer 13 CPU, Fractal Design Define R4, Seagate Barracuda 500GB, PNY NVIDIA Quadro 400, XFX Pro 450W power supply, Kingston HyperX 8GB, Antec Kuhler Flow CPU, Gigabyte H61MA-D2V. Does that help? Most of it is mumbo jumbo to me!

Egitel

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2013
You may not like my answer, but it sounds like you may have paper-weighted your video card. Might have created a static discharge. Do you have an extra GPU lying around that you could try? If not does your CPU have on-board graphics? May want to take it out and see if your monitor comes on with a different video card or the processor's on-board graphics.

littlejo

Reputable
Apr 15, 2014
Hi - I have absolutely no idea whether the CPU has on board graphics or where to even begin to look to find the CPU! I am pretty sure that there is no GPU (had to look up what that was - not computer minded at all) lying around either.

Egitel

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2013
Okay, uhh. Do you know what processor you have? If not, press start, and in the search bar type in "dxdiag" without quotes, and under "System" tab you will find "Processor:" and tell me what it says after that, and then "Display 1/2" tab, under Device you will see "Name" tell me what that says.

littlejo

Reputable
Apr 15, 2014
Hi all - right it was custom built pc with a i5 processor, CPU0100, Arctic Freezer 13 CPU, Fractal Design Define R4, Seagate Barracuda 500GB, PNY NVIDIA Quadro 400, XFX Pro 450W power supply, Kingston HyperX 8GB, Antec Kuhler Flow CPU, Gigabyte H61MA-D2V. Does that help? Most of it is mumbo jumbo to me!

Solution

Egitel

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2013
Yep, that helps. If it's an i5 it should definitely have integrated graphics. Okay, what you can do is power down, remove the video card from the system, and restart it, and make sure you get video. If you do get video, shut it down again, unplug it, etc, plug the GPU back in, make sure it's in there correctly, connect the monitor first, while the monitor is off and preferably unplugged, and then plug the computer and monitor back in, start it up again and see if you still have video. If the monitor still says no signal after re-installing the graphics card, then your card is the problem, might have accidentally created a static discharge against the card in the process of moving it, but it is possible it was just jarred loose.

Egitel

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2013
It's okay, that's what we're here for! :) There's a video here that explains how to do it, it's actually a very simple process, but it can be a bit intimidating if you're not used to playing around inside your computer case. You'll want to be wary of static electricity, because a discharge will fry computer components. Just make sure to discharge any static by touching the metal exterior of your case, NOT any electrical components inside of it. Here's the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56ZI4HFOizY

If even with that you're still not comfortable removing a video card (which is totally okay!) you'll have to bring it to a local repair shop or a friend that can. Hope this helps!

Nijanthan Christy

Reputable
Apr 9, 2014
i have a doubt on this do you hear any beep sound from the system while powering ON
after powering ON the system check the keyboard num lock or the caps lock led's are glowing while the keys are pressing

Jan 23, 2022
i have a doubt on this do you hear any beep sound from the system while powering ON
after powering ON the system check the keyboard num lock or the caps lock led's are glowing while the keys are pressing

Hello,
I was rearranging some things in my office. I moved my computers to a new desk and when I plugged them back up the monitors both say no signal. I have a Lenovo which uses an HDMI connector to my TV for monitor, and I have an old Dell computer with Dell monitor with the usual connection from that computer to monitor. I'm not sure the name of that wire connector. I don't understand how they both stop at the very same time. I reconnected all the wires checking to see if they were loose. I tried using the other HDMI ports of my TV for the Lenovo, and rebooting my TV. I do hear a beeping sound when the Dell turns on never herd that before, and the Dell has had issues finding a signed for monitor in the past. It always turns on after I check the plugs just not now. Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.