[SOLVED] Monitors can't find the mini displayport after getting a new monitor

Sep 30, 2020
Ok, I've been running 3 monitors for a while now with my laptop. (ASUS rog gl502vs ds71). I've been running the native laptop screen and two external monitors. One has been HDMI and the other a mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter with an HDMI cord. Neither of these external monitors is anything special, just older monitors I used for more screen space. This has worked without any real issue.
I decided I wanted an upgrade and bought a ASUS TUF Gaming VG27A monitor. I tried to set up the new monitor and one of the previous monitors. I can't get three monitors to run now. While all of the monitors work on their own via the HDMI port I can't get any of them to run with the mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter.
I tried to go back to the original set up removing the new monitor and it still won't work. Hooking up the new monitor has changed some settings and I'm not sure what. I don't believe I've changed any settings in the menus.
Of note, the computer and monitor are talking to each other in some way because when I plug something into the mini DisplayPort the monitor will leave sleep mode, look for a signal for 10 seconds or so then put "No Signal" on the screen. It never finds a signal but the monitor does seem to react to something being plugged into it.
After searching online I've seen this is often a driver issue (the driver worked fine until yesterday), or power settings (I've created a Maximum setting power profile). Most of the stuff I've read online are people that have never had their mini DisplayPort/ DisplayPort work at all. I'm confused as to why it worked but stopped with the new monitor.
Help would be great because I really want to see this thing in action!

Solution
I've already ordered a mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cord. I need this to take advantage of the DisplayPort 1.2 protocols.
that would be my next step in troubleshooting.
i would just make sure it is manufactured by a reliable brand with many positive user reviews.

adapters turn out to be very unreliable a lot of the time. most cheaply manufactured in China without much testing involved. i've seen many with damaged male\female ports due to low quality materials, not really due to any fault on the users part.

hopefully this turns out to be a cheap fix.
Sep 30, 2020
there's a good possibility the adapter has been damaged.

what output ports does the laptop have? just 1x HDMI and 1x mini DisplayPort?
and what input ports does the new monitor have?

I was concerned about the cord. It is admittedly a cheap cord but it was working. I literally unplugged one monitor and plugged it back into another one. no obvious stress/damage to the cord.

As for inputs the Laptop has 1x HDMI and 1x mini DisplayPort. The monitor has 2x HDMI and 1x DisplayPort.

I've already ordered a mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cord. I need this to take advantage of the DisplayPort 1.2 protocols. I just presumed that it was the port in the laptop because none of the monitors will work and the cord had been fine. I'm still concerned this is the case.

I've already ordered a mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cord. I need this to take advantage of the DisplayPort 1.2 protocols.
that would be my next step in troubleshooting.
i would just make sure it is manufactured by a reliable brand with many positive user reviews.

adapters turn out to be very unreliable a lot of the time. most cheaply manufactured in China without much testing involved. i've seen many with damaged male\female ports due to low quality materials, not really due to any fault on the users part.

hopefully this turns out to be a cheap fix.

Solution