Question Monitors losing signal while gaming on new 6800 XT

Sep 13, 2023
Hi all,

I recently replaced my 3060 with an XFX Speedster MERC319 RX 6800XT CORE and have been running into issues with running GPU intensive games. I replaced the 550W PSU with a Cooler Master MWE Gold 850 V2 and I’m using 2 separate PCIe cables in each 8-pin connector. I have 2 monitors- a 1440p 27” 170hz and a 1080p 24” 144hz. Both are connected using DP. The 27” is also new but have had the 24” for 2 years with 0 issue.

At first it was Starfield crashing after an hour. Monitors display no signal, PC still runs but I have to shut it down and restart in order to get the display back. Then it started happening every 5-15 minutes of running the game. I DDU’ed drivers and reinstalled multiple times. No change. I gave up trying to run Starfield and assumed it was just the game.

Then I tried running The Witcher 3. At first the game just crashed after around 5-10 minutes and a few error windows popped up:
79LXcVc.png

So again I DDU’ed drivers and reinstalled. Eventually it wasn’t the game crashing anymore but my monitors losing signal entirely.

So far I’ve tried:

- DDU-ing drivers.
- Updating Windows. Actually my PC did that on its own after the displays crashed.
- Updating motherboard drivers. Saw this on device manager:
image.png

Installed some new drivers and no longer had missing drivers.
- Reseating GPU.
- Replugging in PCIe cables.
- Reseating RAM.
- Running 3DMark. No signal loss issues while running TimeSpy.
- Manually setting fans to 70%. Also tried changing the fan curve so the card ran cooler.
- Using only one monitor.

Event viewer gives me some different warnings and errors. An error I found concerning was “A fatal hardware error has occurred”. I forgot what exactly the warnings read (can check later) but it was something to do with not having permissions to run some things. I am the administrator and only user of my PC.

Both games ran smoothly on the 6800 XT other than the display crashes. I put the 3060 back on and was able to run The Witcher 3 with no signal loss issues.

Any ideas on what else I can do to troubleshoot?

Sep 13, 2023
My specs:
CPU: Intel Core i5 11500
GPU: XFX Speedster MERC319 RX 6800 XT CORE
Motherboard: ASRock B560M Pro4
RAM: Klevv BOLT X 16GB DDR4 3200MHz
SSD: Klevv CRAS C710 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD
PSU: Cooler Master MWE 850 Gold V2

Other than the GPU and PSU the PC is 2 years old.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2023
Have you tried to simplify things and run just one monitor. Test for a day or two with your new RX 6800 XT.

Run your games does it black screen .

Maybe your DP cables were fine on old setup but need a better spec higher end cables now?
Hi,

I exchanged my GPU for a new one. Been playing for 2 hours and no issues so far. Hopefully this was the fix.