unoc

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2002
do we need to forget our intel or AMD processor ?
May be yes. "Core Cell" processor from IBM-Sony-Toshiba should be about 100 times faster than the fastest Intel or AMD processor, and it will be a 64 bit CPU (made by 8 core)
Who knows something ?

______________________ <font color=red>A straight line never ends……………….until it comes up against a vicious circle</font color=red>

tweebel

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
No press specimens have been released for reviewing so no one knows anything really.

Most commonly used: We have seen this thing before and most of the time its much ado about nothing.

Xeon

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2004
Like all of IBM's godly chips, it comes down to very good compiling of the software, ideal program structures from the programmer.

Also IBM plays it like Intel running specialized threads to ensure the shareholders are amazed.

Cell will be OK but in normal software environments such as what we are generally running it will fail like the G5 did. It's a specialized IC as well; the chip is designed for games not general software.

As well if its anything like they said the PS2 was supposed to be it will yet again be another flop for technology.

Xeon

<font color=red>Post created with being a dickhead in mind.</font color=red>
<font color=white>For all emotional and slanderous statements contact THG for all law suits.</font color=white>

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
>100 times faster than the fastest Intel or AMD processor

Don't believe it.. it might have a 100x higher theoretical peak FLOP rating, but only afraction of that sustained, and even then only with rarely used single precission data. And FLOP is meaningless anyhow. And theory <> practice (cf G5 vs x86)/

I'm in no position to give an estimate myself, but people who's opinion I usually trust on such matter estimate at most 3-4x performance over current high end x86 running extremely threaded friendly FP software. On more commonly used single threaded spaghetti code, it will be closer to an old iMac, maybe slower.

Its a chip that might have some potential for supercomputing and technical computing, and obviously as PS3 chip, but its not going to be a general purpose CPU. Think of it as an Athlon or P4 with tons of integrated pixel/vertex shaders. A Geforce 1/2 was also given a ridiculous high FLOP rating.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

imgod2u

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2002
The GPU's you mention *do* deliver their "ridiculous" amount of FLOPS. Try doing any type of rendering that the GPU does in software (processed on the CPU) even with specialized SIMD code. You won't get anywhere near the performance. Pretty much the CELL will provide GPU-like processing power tied to the CPU on a single chip. It is very possible to reach the theoretical FLOPS rating, but modern GPU's already do what this chip claims to do anyway.

"We are Microsoft, resistance is futile." - Bill Gates, 2015.