Maikurosofuto

Reputable
Oct 24, 2019
So, currently i have a 2x8gb 2666mhz cl15 RAM kit and a i7 8700 (non-K) paired with a H370. Going straight to the point, i have some money, enough to buy some faster 2x16 kit RAM but not enough to buy a Ryzen 3700x + Mobo for example, atm i'm only gaming but i'm planing to get back at editing and maybe learn some render e etc. Keep in mind i will still game, preferably with a high frame rate, but will start editing again (or rendering) in my free time.

Made a poll to be easier. If you want, explain why you choose such option.

P.S: My english it's a bit rusty, don't judge me.

Solution
I have used my current computer with both a set of 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz RAM, and with 32 GB Corsair Vengance LPX 3333MHz RAM (not simultanoiusly of course).

The percievable performance increase between the two sets of RAM, when it comes to gaming and general daily use, is very little, almost non-existant. It is measurable when benchmarking, but the actual sense of improved performance is not worth pouring too much money into.

Intel CPUs does not really benefit as much from high frequency RAM with tight timings, the same way AMD Ryzen CPUs do.

I do not have enough experience to tell if it would be worth it in connection with editing, but for general use and gaming, in my personal opinion, the performance increase is not...
Apr 14, 2020
based on my experience,the better your cpu is,the faster your pc will run.
and if you are a gamer, cpu will surely increase your fps.
RAM won't help a lot. but the loading time.
but if you're focusing more on video editing, 16 gb ram is actually enough. but 32 gb will allow you to do 4K editing slightly better than the 16 gb.

Reactions: Maikurosofuto

Maikurosofuto

Reputable
Oct 24, 2019
based on my experience,the better your cpu is,the faster your pc will run.
and if you are a gamer, cpu will surely increase your fps.
RAM won't help a lot. but the loading time.
but if you're focusing more on video editing, 16 gb ram is actually enough. but 32 gb will allow you to do 4K editing slightly better than the 16 gb.
I considered 32GB just to have a margin for higher resolutions.

I have used my current computer with both a set of 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz RAM, and with 32 GB Corsair Vengance LPX 3333MHz RAM (not simultanoiusly of course).

The percievable performance increase between the two sets of RAM, when it comes to gaming and general daily use, is very little, almost non-existant. It is measurable when benchmarking, but the actual sense of improved performance is not worth pouring too much money into.

Intel CPUs does not really benefit as much from high frequency RAM with tight timings, the same way AMD Ryzen CPUs do.

I do not have enough experience to tell if it would be worth it in connection with editing, but for general use and gaming, in my personal opinion, the performance increase is not worth the amount money required, too little performance gained, too much money spent.

I'd personally look into a CPU upgrade, or save up and build a Ryzen system - the last option would be my first choice. The i7 8700 is not a bad CPU, and still performs pretty good.

Last edited:
Reactions: Maikurosofuto
Solution

Maikurosofuto

Reputable
Oct 24, 2019

I do not have enough experience to tell if it would be worth it in connection with editing, but for general use and gaming, in my personal opinion, the performance increase is not worth the amount money required, too little performance gained, too much money spent.

I'd personally look into a CPU upgrade, or save up and build a Ryzen system - the last option would be my first choice. The i7 8700 is not a bad CPU, and still performs pretty good.
I agree with you, an i7 8700 is a great CPU, but when it comes to a long video editing may take some time to render everything, specially when quality is the main goal. Ryzen is basically the way to go option in that case, but changing all my setup JUST for editing isn't that satisfactory, so I started to consider a i7 9700, and yet don't know if worth the cost or not, and then i started to consider buy more RAM now and and leave all that CPU upgrade thing for later.