More Than Half of Consumers Haven't Heard of Windows 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
to be fair, lets keep things in perspective. 1/2 of the customers at my work think that win7 came out 'years before windows XP' and that they want something at least as new as XP on it. *facepalm*

Seriously... people are dumb and uninformed. How many people have you ever helped to fix something and your first question is "What operating system are you running" and the only answer you can squeeze out of them is "I think it's windows".

G

The sad thing is, these people who do not know about wins 8, will all start buying wins 8...

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]caedenv[/nom]to be fair, lets keep things in perspective. 1/2 of the customers at my work think that win7 came out 'years before windows XP' and that they want something at least as new as XP on it. *facepalm*Seriously... people are dumb and uninformed. How many people have you ever helped to fix something and your first question is "What operating system are you running" and the only answer you can squeeze out of them is "I think it's windows".[/citation]

I had a blast trying to explain someone that Windows 98 is NOT better than Windows 7 just because it has double digits.

And he wondered why essentially all of the modern games won't run on it.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]trankhanhvinhan[/nom]The sad thing is, these people who do not know about wins 8, will all start buying wins 8...[/citation]

On the flip side, there are people who will never upgrade from their 256 MB RAM toasters.

coolronz

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2008
[citation][nom]caedenv[/nom]to be fair, lets keep things in perspective. 1/2 of the customers at my work think that win7 came out 'years before windows XP' and that they want something at least as new as XP on it. *facepalm*Seriously... people are dumb and uninformed. How many people have you ever helped to fix something and your first question is "What operating system are you running" and the only answer you can squeeze out of them is "I think it's windows".[/citation]

hahaha true.. and you know what? its ok.... as the general public goes, they log on, check their email, maybe do some surfing, watch a movie or search the web.... the next laptop/netbook/tablet i would buy will have windows 8 and I'll just have to get used to it.... But as far as my current, destop, laptop and netbook goes, im quite happy with what they came with, windows 7... I might get an OEM copy of W8 pro for my desktop... but i dont think i can take my 3D software with me or even my BluRay burning software with me, thats whats holding me back.... $150 for the OS then another who knows how many hundreds to keep the programs i like using... hmmmmm.... yes theres compatability mode, but after going from XP to Vista and then to Win7, of wich I had to keep upgrading the sofware i used most.... its a tough pill to swallow...

badaxe2

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
They've sure heard of all the latest Xbox crap though I'm sure.

Still, it's difficult to understand how anyone who's turned on a TV in the last couple weeks hasn't seen a Windows 8....8....8......8 ad. Unless they're subconsciously trying to tune it out.

lradunovic77

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
Sad thing is that Windows 7 feels modern when you go back to it from Windows 8. After a month of usage Windows 8 is simply unusable OS. MS failed in UI department, EPIC FAILURE.

lp231

Splendid
[citation][nom]caedenv[/nom] How many people have you ever helped to fix something and your first question is "What operating system are you running" and the only answer you can squeeze out of them is "I think it's windows".[/citation]

Well some will also say Internet Explorer or the brand name of their computer.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Consumers won't be interested in Windows 8 until 2013? I think they've got that wrong. Many consumers won't be interested in it at all, period. I'm one of them. I gave it a try and didn't like it. You can't seriously expect me to pay money for an "almost complete" OS. Linux already gives me that for free. Hopefully Microsoft learns from their mistakes and Windows 9 turns out well.

jivdis1x

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
U r all describing an apple's consumer. Ms is trying to be it simple for the apple consumer. We are the minority. They are trying to compete in same market. Catering to simplicity. Surprise ms still going with the number scheme. Apple name their major version after animals.

G

I wish title would be "More than Half of Consumers Are Lucky that they Haven't Heard of Windows 8"

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
35 percent of respondents believe Microsoft's latest OS will be an improvement from the operating system's predecessors.
I must be the 35percent then because I know how to use "pin to start/unpin from start" feature which replaces startmenu that I missed

[citation][nom]badaxe2[/nom]TStill, it's difficult to understand how anyone who's turned on a TV in the last couple weeks hasn't seen a Windows 8....8....8......8 ad. Unless they're subconsciously trying to tune it out.[/citation]

sadly here in the Panhandle of WV, i haven't even seen a single windows 8 commercial and most of the channels comes from DC..... Think all the political ads is drowning out everything else.

While we're at it... "61 percent had "little or no interest" in purchasing either a new desktop or laptop equipped with the operating system."

Did they account for the possibility that 61 percent of respondents simply had no interest in purchasing a new desktop or laptop regardless of what operating system it was running? The survey results are severely lacking in clarity. That's why I never pay attention to these kinds of articles. When survey results get released, they should be required to publish the questions as well as the responses. I want to see exactly what was asked as well, and then draw my own conclusions about the data.

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
[citation][nom]coolronz[/nom]hahaha true.. and you know what? its ok.... as the general public goes, they log on, check their email, maybe do some surfing, watch a movie or search the web.... the next laptop/netbook/tablet i would buy will have windows 8 and I'll just have to get used to it.... But as far as my current, destop, laptop and netbook goes, im quite happy with what they came with, windows 7... I might get an OEM copy of W8 pro for my desktop... but i dont think i can take my 3D software with me or even my BluRay burning software with me, thats whats holding me back.... $150 for the OS then another who knows how many hundreds to keep the programs i like using... hmmmmm.... yes theres compatability mode, but after going from XP to Vista and then to Win7, of wich I had to keep upgrading the sofware i used most.... its a tough pill to swallow...[/citation]

I don't think you need to worry about compatibility if the software you have works on Windows 7. Think of Windows 8 like Windows 7 with Metro duct taped to the side. You have your Metro apps and everything else runs exactly as in Windows 7, compatibility wise.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]Antimatter79[/nom]This is a stark contrast from when XP launched. People were on the news, lined at stores like it was the newest iPhone or Playstation.[/citation]Can you blame them after Windows 2K and ME?

Probably all the election adds have people burnt out... I know everything im watching on TV gets DVR'ed so I don't have to listen to so and so approves of this message.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]deepblue08[/nom]In other news: A survey showed that more than half of consumers cannot differentiate between a toaster and a laptop.[/citation]
And those people are called iPhone users.

Status
Not open for further replies.