Question Most games go unresponsive or crash while playing after awhile.

May 31, 2019
Hi guys, I have been having this problem and I am unsure of how to fix it.

Whenever I play any game it will crash or go "Not Responding" to the point where I have to Alt-F4 or go through task manager to end it.

Sometimes this is after 1 min sometimes an hour.
Sometimes it says "General Radeon Wattman Settings Have Been Restored Due TO Error" or whatever the prompt says. But sometimes it just crashes no prompts at all.

Specs are
Win 10 Pro 64
I5-4330
Radeon R9 290x
16G Ram
500GB SSD
MSI H81m-P33 Board

Any pointers are appreciated!

May 31, 2019
PSU is a EVGA 600W 80+

My AMD settings said 58 c was the peak when it crashed.

It also says "Activity" 100% when running a game.

Task manager says CPU usage around 40-55% average not sure how to monitor temp with.

I have completely reset my AMD settings and the same issue occurs.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
What model EVGA PSU specifically? The overall advertised wattage may be enough, but the quality of the unit is more important.

Do you have latest BIOS installed? - and equally do you have Intel Management Engine updated along with it?
Monitor individual core CPU temps using HWInfo

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Yes as PC Tailor said, use HWiNFO or GPU-Z to monitor GPU and CPU temps during game play and see how hot they're running when crashes happen.

Crashes during gaming after a while are mostly because of PSU not being able to cope or because of thermal issue. That is one power-hungry graphics card. How old is the PSU? It might be losing some of its juice and not being able to deliver nominal values, intermittently.

That AMD thing being set to default with error messages also makes graphics driver a candidate for issue. Although problem reappearing after resetting to default makes it a bit less likely.

Has there ever been a BSOD? Have you checked RAM modules with memtest? It won't hurt testing them, one stick at a time (if more than one), 4 passes at least.