Question Motherboard and PSU failure within a little over a year. Underlying cause or bad luck?

TJtheGamer

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2014
Hello forum goers, I built myself a new system around 18 months ago and have already had 2 major component failures. The first was a dead motherboard about 3 months after my initial build that I got replaced through a RMA request. The second appears to be a dead power supply that happened a couple days ago, I have sent an RMA request but haven't heard back yet. Basically, with two major failures like the ones I outlined, I wondered if I should be concerned that something else could be awry and causing my system problems. I suppose it could be possible that my PSU wasn't ever functioning properly and caused my dead motherboard, but I tested my PSU with a voltmeter when my motherboard dead and everything seemed fine. Is there anything else that could be causing my issues that I should look into, or should I just chalk it up as bad luck? It's probably worth mentioning that my PC has always been plugged into a surge protector. Thanks for your time and any insight you can give.
Specs:
PSU- Corsair RM650x
Motherboard- ASrock z590 Pro4
CPU- i5 11400f
RAM- 16 gb Gskill Aegis
GPU- EVGA 3060ti FTW3 Ultra
CPU cooler- Deepcool AK620 digital (yes I know this is overkill don't yell at me)
Storage- 1x 4tb 5400rpm HDD & 1x2tb gen3 m.2 SSD
Case- Corsair 4000D airflow
Misc- Intel wifi 6 kit

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Voltmeter only tells you the voltage, not ripple, hold up times, or other problems. And you need to measure voltages under a load, the open circuit voltage can be completely different. You need an expensive PSU tester to be sure, or some know how and an oscilloscope.

You might doublecheck that the power coming from the outlet you have plugged into is working properly, with a functional ground. Any other power hungry devices on the same circuit could have ground faults or be causing power sag or spikes in your PSU.

A pure sine wave UPS/Line Conditioner might come in handy for you.

mmp09

Commendable
Nov 27, 2021
It may be hard to tell, as I have seen even DOA parts when it comes to consumer electronics.

Have there been any instances when the mains power circuit breaker connected to the room where PC is kept ever tripped. Any instances of lightning strikes in nearby environment?

Get grounding verified by a qualified electrician.
Any instances where you handled the parts like mobo/cpu without ESD wrist straps. ESD can silently kill electronics randomly. Is the PC kept on soft carpet?