Feb 12, 2019
I bought a MSI x470 gaming pro carbon and am considering buying g.skill tridentz ram model # F4-3200C16D-32GTZRX
This ram is 3200 mhz C16 and are 16 gb sticks.
However, after looking at its QVL that is linked here: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/X470-GAMING-PLUS#support-mem-14
It seems (maybe I'm wrong) that this motherboard would only support C14 ram at 3200mhz in 16gb sticks. The listing showing the ram "Side" states either dual or single. Does this mean a single stick vs dual sticks or is this a different spec. What exactly is meant by the "Side" column in the QVL where it'll label ram as either single or dual and how does that relate to the "size" column. For example, does Dual 16gb mean two sticks each of 8gb? or does it mean two sticks each of 16gb for a total of 32gb? I also noticed that the board supports G.skills 3000mhz C16 rgb ram and it doesn't have a listing for 3200mhz C16 rgb ram but it does support 3200mhz C14 rgb ram. Should I assume it supports the C16 3200mhz since it supports the better C14 at the same speed?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
The QVL is usually at time of manufacture. So there will be kits out there that aren't on the list. Yes, this memory will mostly likely work. But 3200Mhz is still overclocked, so there is no absolute guarantee the CPU's memory controller can manage it. Though it is a very common speed for Ryzen builds, so it should work.

Single side vs double sided is about the memory itself. Most higher capacity sticks are double sided with chips on both sides of the PCB (though they can be double sided without having chips on both sides, just comes down to the wiring). Some boards have restrictions about filling all the available slots with double sided memory, and you will also find different dual channel configurations either support or not supported due to single or double sided-ness. I haven't fully populated a board in a while, but may times in the past I have had to use 3 double sided and a single sided chip to fully populate a board.

Here is a more thorough explanation.

Feb 12, 2019
Thanks I appreciate the quick response very much! I've been stressing for far too long about this before building trying to figure out what size ram my board would take at what latency and frequency.