Motherboard Can't Read RAM

Nov 4, 2018
So I build my pc 2 years ago with 16 gigs of ram. Yesterday I noticed that windows only read 8 gigs. Here is what I did.
1. Switched the Ram sticks around. Still only read 8 gigs.
2. Pulled one out and put one in the slot for running just one stick. Didn't work
(I figured that stick was bad until...)
3. Pulled that one out and put the other in. Still didn't work.
(Now they both don't work).
4. Put it back to how it was originally and now both don't work.
5. So to be sure I bought the same ram from the store and put it in. And the new ones don't work either.

Went from having half my ram to no ram at all in an hour. I bought new ram and it still didn't work. My guess is my motherboard took a dumb and I am going to contact ASUS because I still have a couple months on the warranty. I just wanted to check here and see if you guys knew of any other possible issues. The ram worked for over two years so it is the right ram for the mobo and I made sure I was putting them in the right slots.

Edit: I put the old ones in and they did not work at first. After a couple restarts both of them started suddenly started working again(back up to 16 gigs) WTF is going on, please help haha.

Jwpanz

Honorable
If you contact Asus then they’ll tell you to update Windows, update your BIOS, and reset the CMOS. They’ll also ask you to check all of your connections in the case.

However, this sounds like a motherboard issue. The first thing to try before contacting them is resetting the CMOS. If that fails, update the BIOS. If that also fails then have Asus send you a new board.

If they’re working now then look in the BIOS and see what the settings are. Make sure the RAM is operating at it’s stock frequency and timings.

Nov 4, 2018

Yeah I just reset the CMOS and updated the BIOS, It seems to be working now so I guess I'll just keep an eye on it and if it fails again I'll contact ASUS. Im just glad I can return the new ram, ram ain't cheap anymore haha.
Thanks for your reply!