[SOLVED] Motherboard compatibility

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
Hello everyone, I’m building a budget pc for my friend, and was wondering if a Xeon e3-1220 would work with the Intel motherboard model DQ67SW? I know they’re both socket lga 1155, just wondering if there was something with Xeons that made them incompatible. Thanks!

Solution
E3-1220L, E3-1220 and E3-1220 v2 are on the CPU support list for that motherboard. E3-1220 v3 is not. That could be because it was never updated by Intel to show support from a later BIOS update that allowed it to be supported, and might actually BE supported on that board, but there is nothing from Intel that suggests it is nor from three other sources that show listings of supported CPUs for that board.

Probably worth a try, but don't be terribly surprised if it doesn't work AND you will want to make sure you have the MOST recent BIOS version for that board installed before you do.
E3-1220L, E3-1220 and E3-1220 v2 are on the CPU support list for that motherboard. E3-1220 v3 is not. That could be because it was never updated by Intel to show support from a later BIOS update that allowed it to be supported, and might actually BE supported on that board, but there is nothing from Intel that suggests it is nor from three other sources that show listings of supported CPUs for that board.

Probably worth a try, but don't be terribly surprised if it doesn't work AND you will want to make sure you have the MOST recent BIOS version for that board installed before you do.

Solution

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019

Okay, With a BIOS update, you have to have an older CPU for that socket right? If my Xeon Doesn't work, could I update the Bios with either an i3-2130 or a Pentium G850 (I have these on hand)? Also, I'm not sure even how to update BIOS, I've just heard these things bout needing an older, supported CPU.

So, thanks for telling me that mine might not be supported, and can you tell me how to upgrade a BIOS, and will it cost money?

BIOS file and "image" are interchangeable terminology.

Technically, it is "BIOS image file". It is the "image" which contains the new code and instructions, and that is what needs to be replaced. There are tons of Youtube tutorials on updating the BIOS for most types of boards. If you can't find one for your exact model, there will likely be one for a board that is at least similar from the same manufacturer and same generation/chipset, which will usually have the same method required for updating. Most likely there are also written instructions on how to do it on the Intel product page for that motherboard.

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
BIOS file and "image" are interchangeable terminology.

Technically, it is "BIOS image file". It is the "image" which contains the new code and instructions, and that is what needs to be replaced. There are tons of Youtube tutorials on updating the BIOS for most types of boards. If you can't find one for your exact model, there will likely be one for a board that is at least similar from the same manufacturer and same generation/chipset, which will usually have the same method required for updating. Most likely there are also written instructions on how to do it on the Intel product page for that motherboard.
Okay sweet. Will do if it gets to that point. Thanks!