Question Motherboard doesn’t recognize my m.2 ssd, anyway to fix this?

Louisfld

Honorable
Oct 31, 2016
I thought my graphics card was having issues after I lost electricity and now my motherboard doesn’t recognize my ssd or hdd.

Yesterday the electricity at my place was out due to high winds and the electric company took 12 hrs to fix the issues in our area. When I was able to I powered up my pc and noticed the rgb on my aorus rtx 2060 wasn’t on. I shutdown my computer a few times and powered it up again to see if it would come back, it did not.

On one of the shutdown I forced shut it down and once it had powered down I hit the power switch on and off on my psu to see if that may have something to do with it. After that I powered on my computer and was sent to a black screen with a flashing white line on the top left. After power on and off a few times my motherboard had the code “AE”. Which I found to be that it didn’t detect an operating system. I went into the bios and had to switch around my boot order and put the drive listed as boot manager back on the top of the list. It still didn’t help and sent me to the repair windows screen.

It failed multiples trying to repair windows. I turned off my pc and went into the bios and found that my motherboard no longer recognizes my m.2 ssd which has my windows os on it. Instead one of my other hard drives was listed as the boot manager even though there’s no os on it. Now after trying to clear the cmos using the button on the back of my motherboard it no longer detects any of my drives but the one boot manager that doesn’t even work.

Is there anything I can do? I’ve tried reseating the ssd as well as the other drives. On the device configuration in the bios it has one drive in the data listing(I believe the falsely listed boot manager drive) and it also detects my gpu, cpu and ram.

My motherboard is: Asus Maximus VIIi hero alpha
CPU: i5 6500
M.2ssd: 500gb wd blue WDS500G2B0B
Psu: Corsair cx750
Gpu: AORUS GeForce RTX 2060 XTREME 6G
Memory: 2 8gb Corsair vengeance 2400
Two other drives, one of them being a hybrid hdd.

Now after trying to clear the cmos using the button on the back of my motherboard it no longer detects any of my drives but the one boot manager that doesn’t even work.
Is there anything I can do?
Make sure - sata controller mode and boot mode is set to previous values before BIOS reset. Sata controller mode should be AHCI (and not Intel RST with Optane).
Disable fast boot. It may be necessary to disable secure boot also.

If M.2 drive still doesn't get detected, then install windows on some other drive and perform diagnostics.

Reactions: Louisfld

Louisfld

Honorable
Oct 31, 2016
Make sure - sata controller mode and boot mode is set to previous values before BIOS reset. Sata controller mode should be AHCI (and not Intel RST with Optane).
Disable fast boot. It may be necessary to disable secure boot also.

If M.2 drive still doesn't get detected, then install windows on some other drive and perform diagnostics.
Hey! Thanks for the reply.
Where in the bios might I find and set their values to previous? I can get around most other areas of my pc but the bios is not exactly one of them I’m as familiar with. Sata mode is set to ahci

Louisfld

Honorable
Oct 31, 2016
I was able to get windows installed on one of my other drives as well as purchased a new m.2 ssd. The new ssd still isn’t recognized in bios but windows can see and use it.

Louisfld

Honorable
Oct 31, 2016
here's the link to the ss with my disk management
View: https://imgur.com/K4WTfgw

Drive C: Seagate Desktop SSHD ST1000DX001
mostly game files with the new windows install on it

Drive D:
Seagate ST31000528AS 1TB Hard Drive
same as C without the windows install, all of the partitions were created when i had previously installed windows. I'm not sure if I've ever used them.

Volume E: is the new WD Blue SN570 1TB. i was able to install windows on it as the windows creations tool detected it, so that is why there is some used space.

Louisfld

Honorable
Oct 31, 2016
So I was able to get it to show in the bios. I had to put the csm to legacy and uefi. At that point all of my drives appeared including the new m.2. I tried using my old m.2 and found that windows cannot see it in the file explorer and the bios cannot see it as well. Disk management can see the drive but says it’s not initialized. The properties tab says the device has 0mb of storage. So I believe the drive is dead.

Volume E: is the new WD Blue SN570 1TB.
Diagnose it with WD SSD Dashboard.

https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?p=279

When you install windows, have only single drive connected. Clean target drive before installing windows.
Currently - drive containing E: is not bootable (it doesn't contain bootloader). That's because you had other drives connected, while installing windows.