[SOLVED] Motherboard for 5600G

Jan 8, 2022
Hey everyone.

Long story short I have some medical issues and I'm not able to understand fully PCI Express 4 and 3. I'm literally looking for advice here.

I want to purchase the following

Ryzen 5600g
M.2 drive
16GN DDR 4 ram, 3600 Cas 16
I'm having issues choosing a MB

So this system would only be used for light gaming as my medical issues do not allow me to game much these days. It was mostly be used as a faster WAH system for times my wife works from home. I would like it to support Windows 11 as it seems that is the way it is going. I'm guessing X570 is over kill or is it? I really don't know. I picked out a Asus Strix B550 which is on for like $219 CND. Would this be over kill?

What would you all suggest? I'm assuming my future build after this one will require a AM5 so the board of buy now will be a one time deal if that makes sense.

I have all the other parts required.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to go super cheap and would like something half decent to last a few years. I do not over clock as well.

This is a budget for me so I'm looking to try and be smart where I can save and not have one of the components be over kill.

Thanks everyone! Again I appreciate anyone who takes the time to respond.

Polar

Solution
Something like this should be good...

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 3.9 GHz 6-Core Processor | $299.99 @ Best Buy Canada
CPU Cooler | be quiet! Shadow Rock 3 CPU Cooler | $64.99 @ Canada Computers
Motherboard | Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO AC ATX AM4 Motherboard | $199.99 @ Amazon Canada
Memory | G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory | $97.98 @ Newegg Canada
Storage | Western Digital WD_BLACK SN750 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | $79.98 @ Amazon Canada
Case | Cooler Master MasterBox MB510L ATX Mid Tower Case | $59.99 @ Canada Computers
Power Supply |...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

B550 is the way to go but some prefer to get the higher pedigree build quality and options found on an X570 platform(which mind you, is the flagship chipset from AMD). AMD5 will need a completely new motherboard since they are moving to a Land Grid Array socket...meaning the same pins found on Intel motherboard's and it's highly possible that AM5 will be with DDR5 only.

Make and model of the PSU and it's age? Can you parse a budget for your motherboard purchase, the make and model of your chassis, your preferred site for purchase and if there are any other features you'd like to shoehorn that might govern us with your motherboard purchase/suggestions?

You could go bottom of the barrel and opt for an A520 chipset motherboard but the bottom of the barrel nature would mean you get a lower tier audio codec/chip on the board. Regardless of what board you choose, you will need to have the latest BIOS version before you can plonk the APU into the board. Thought I'd get that out.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
Motherboard | Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO AC ATX AM4 Motherboard | $199.99 @ Amazon Canada
Memory | G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory | $97.98 @ Newegg Canada
Storage | Western Digital WD_BLACK SN750 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | $79.98 @ Amazon Canada
Case | Cooler Master MasterBox MB510L ATX Mid Tower Case | $59.99 @ Canada Computers
Power Supply | SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply | $49.99 @ Canada Computers
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | $852.91
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-01-08 06:04 EST-0500 |

Solution
Jan 8, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

B550 is the way to go but some prefer to get the higher pedigree build quality and options found on an X570 platform(which mind you, is the flagship chipset from AMD). AMD5 will need a completely new motherboard since they are moving to a Land Grid Array socket...meaning the same pins found on Intel motherboard's and it's highly possible that AM5 will be with DDR5 only.

Make and model of the PSU and it's age? Can you parse a budget for your motherboard purchase, the make and model of your chassis, your preferred site for purchase and if there are any other features you'd like to shoehorn that might govern us with your motherboard purchase/suggestions?

You could go bottom of the barrel and opt for an A520 chipset motherboard but the bottom of the barrel nature would mean you get a lower tier audio codec/chip on the board. Regardless of what board you choose, you will need to have the latest BIOS version before you can plonk the APU into the board. Thought I'd get that out.

Thank for the reply. So I was going to reuse my Cooler Master HAF 932 Full Tower Case. Probably over kill but it's money saved.

I'm not sure if the age of the power supply but it is a Antec 900 Watt. It has about a year use on it. Unfortunately I'm dealing with RA since a child and I went from moderate to severe about 8 years ago so PC use has been slim until a few months ago thanks to new medication and surgeries. Also my wife has been doing some WAH so the upgrade is mostly to catch it up to the times for her and it would be nice for me to maybe go back to using it for light gaming, browsing, etc. While cell phones are great I really do miss watching content or just doing stuff in a large screen :)

I'm from Canada so I've been using Part Picker and New Egg System Builder. Below is what I had picked out before seeking advice from people like you guys who are up on your knowledge. It is from NewEgg, those are sale prices apparently.

My only request MB wise is something big. Although this is a very basic build I still need these crippled hands to be able to put it together, to be honest I think I miss that the most. I also think I'll stay away from low end boards. You kinda get what you pay for, that being said I don't think I require a top tier board. RGB means nothing as well. I can take it or leave it.

Also what would you think of a Seagate FireCuda Gaming SSHD 2TB SATA 6.0Gb/s 2.5" Notebooks / Laptops Internal Hard Drive ST2000LX001 for a data drive? I have one kicking around in a old PS4. Just something to store or backup photos and such.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 3.9 GHz 6-Core Processor $299.99

Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard $219.99

G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory $89.99

Western Digital WD Blue SN550 NVMe M.2 2280 1TB PCI-Express 3.0 x4 3D NAND Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) WDS100T2B0C $114.99

Thank you for the reply, I appreciate it.

Jan 8, 2022

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
Power Supply | SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply | $49.99 @ Canada Computers
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | $852.91
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-01-08 06:04 EST-0500 |

Thanks man! I'll take a good look. I appreciate it!!

Reactions: Hellfire13
Also what would you think of a Seagate FireCuda Gaming SSHD 2TB SATA 6.0Gb/s 2.5" Notebooks / Laptops Internal Hard Drive ST2000LX001 for a data drive? I have one kicking around in a old PS4. Just something to store or backup photos and such.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 3.9 GHz 6-Core Processor $299.99

Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard $219.99

G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory $89.99

Western Digital WD Blue SN550 NVMe M.2 2280 1TB PCI-Express 3.0 x4 3D NAND Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) WDS100T2B0C $114.99

Thank you for the reply, I appreciate it.
If you already have the Firecuda, there is no harm in using it as backup drive. It is pretty good overall.

5600G is a good choice considering the current GPU market.

The stock cooler is good but can be loud under load. You can start with it and then move on to a better cooler if you feel the need.

The F-Gaming is a good board with 200A current draw under load, but is a bit expensive. The Aorus Pro is 250A and cheaper should you choose to move on to a stronger CPU later on. Nevertheless both are pretty good.

RAM is good.

The WD SN550 is good overall but lacks DRAM cache. You can google the benefits of DRAM cache.

The total power needed for the build will be somewhere around 300w-350w ballpark from the wall. If the Antec is in working condition it should be fine. Same for the case.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: The PolarPrince
Jan 8, 2022
If you already have the Firecuda, there is no harm in using it as backup drive. It is pretty good overall.

5600G is a good choice considering the current GPU market.

The stock cooler is good but can be loud under load. You can start with it and then move on to a better cooler if you feel the need.

The F-Gaming is a good board with 200A current draw under load, but is a bit expensive. The Aorus Pro is 250A and cheaper should you choose to move on to a stronger CPU later on. Nevertheless both are pretty good.

RAM is good.

The WD SN550 is good overall but lacks DRAM cache. You can google the benefits of DRAM cache.

The total power needed for the build will be somewhere around 300w-350w ballpark from the wall. If the Antec is in working condition it should be fine. Same for the case.

Hope this helps.
I never thought of DRAM so thank you for that. I'm glad I swallowed my pride and asked for assistance. The Aorus Pro board you mention is the same one you linked earlier? Thank you again.

Reactions: Hellfire13