Question Motherboard for Ryzen 7 3700x

Nov 12, 2019
Hi ! My problem is simple : I can't figure out what motherboard to buy along with a Ryzen 7 3700x. At first I was looking at a ASUS PRIME B450M-A, but I fear two things - side effects towards to the CPU (like slower performance) and the BIOS update (I would rather avoid buying a CPU just for updating). What motherboard do you guys think would work well for a Ryzen 7 3700x, considering a potential update ? Is a B450 chipset good enough for this CPU ?

Other components/stuff I have and might be useful :

GPU - GTX 1070 8GB
1 HDD & 2 SDDs connected to my old motherboard + 1 optical drive

(It seems like a duplicate question, yes. I looked on those similar threads, but I didn't managed to find one answering my question... Sorry in advance if, by change, I was blind enough to miss my solution. And thanks in advance! )

ProPlayerGR

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2016
Hi ! My problem is simple : I can't figure out what motherboard to buy along with a Ryzen 7 3700x. At first I was looking at a ASUS PRIME B450M-A, but I fear two things - side effects towards to the CPU (like slower performance) and the BIOS update (I would rather avoid buying a CPU just for updating). What motherboard do you guys think would work well for a Ryzen 7 3700x, considering a potential update ? Is a B450 chipset good enough for this CPU ?

Other components/stuff I have and might be useful :

GPU - GTX 1070 8GB
1 HDD & 2 SDDs connected to my old motherboard + 1 optical drive

(It seems like a duplicate question, yes. I looked on those similar threads, but I didn't managed to find one answering my question... Sorry in advance if, by change, I was blind enough to miss my solution. And thanks in advance! )
Hello my friend! The b450 chipset is fine if you don't intend to heavily overclock and are okay with other things that the b450 chipset does not have compared to x570 chipset. As for rdr2, I have the same GPU as you and I'm getting an average of 55-60fps on ultra textures, some medium, some high settings and a couple on low. The game looks really good with the settings I have, so if you are having trouble finding your own settings, I can post mine. Also, the b550 chipset will release soon, so maybe you may want to wait a bit but that's your choice. If you do go with the b450 chipset, make sure to buy an msi b450 MAX board, so that you won't have to update the bios. Like the Msi b450 tomahawk max. Also, make sure your ram is 3000+mhz and 16gb, because ryzen CPUs perform a lot better with faster ram and rdr2 uses about 10gb of ram, so you definitely want to have 16gb. Moreover, I would also recommend that you buy two sticks of 8gb ram, as dual channel mode is massively better than single channel, as far as gaming performance is concerned. I hope I helped!

Reactions: Armandfm11
Nov 12, 2019
Well, thanks for your fast answers ^-^

First, I should clarify one thing. It is rather a personal choice, that's why I initially left it out of the talk (so other people doing the step to R7 3700x won't have to deal with a particular case). My primary intention is to keep a wanted motherboard on lookout for Black Friday, so I can save a buck or two. I won't take 2 years to buy everything, but it will happen, sooner or later. So :

Also, the b550 chipset will release soon, so maybe you may want to wait a bit but that's your choice.

That idea's pretty much out, at least for now...

The b450 chipset is fine if you don't intend to heavily overclock and are okay with other things that the b450 chipset does not have compared to x570 chipset.

I don't think a PCI 4.0 would help much, I won't have multiple GPUs - not interested - and I usually don't mess with overclocking. Maybe I would take a small step, but I generally avoid it. So, guess B450 would be an option as well.

If you do go with the b450 chipset, make sure to buy an msi b450 MAX board, so that you won't have to update the bios. Like the Msi b450 tomahawk max.

I’d recommend getting a MSI series with “max” in the name.

Tomahawk's out of stock up here -_- The closest MAX I could find is the MSI X470 GAMING PRO MAX. Will that work ? (And it IS ready for the 3700x - no need for an update, or second-CPU ... right? )

Also, make sure your ram is 3000+mhz and 16gb, because ryzen CPUs perform a lot better with faster ram and rdr2 uses about 10gb of ram, so you definitely want to have 16gb. Moreover, I would also recommend that you buy two sticks of 8gb ram, as dual channel mode is massively better than single channel, as far as gaming performance is concerned. I hope I helped!

Well, that's gonna help me a lot. Thank you ^-^ (fyi, gaming and video rendering are my principal activities, besides wasting time :p )

As for rdr2, I have the same GPU as you and I'm getting an average of 55-60fps on ultra textures, some medium, some high settings and a couple on low. The game looks really good with the settings I have, so if you are having trouble finding your own settings, I can post mine.

:eek: Guess I might be able to enjoy getting that 300$ bounty in Valentine after all (my FX-4300 is crying at 15-20 fps on all low, while the GPU's ... well, nearly sleeping - obviously not a bottleneck there :) ) And it would be very kind of you to post your settings, might help me once I get my hands on that CPU (and motherboard and all), thank you ^-^

Oh, btw, if it helps, I could leave the main 2 sites I keep an eye on - they're not english but the names might help. (then again, I feel I'm already getting too picky, asking for a shopping list and all. I'll leave it up to you if you think these sites would help you)

Nov 12, 2019
That MSI Gaming Pro Max should be fine and Ryzen 3000 series ready.

Well, MSI it is then. I couldn't find any review on it (so I could be aware of any problems the motherboard might have), but it feels like my safest bet I have. I'll keep an eye on it, and if I get the chance, I'll grab it. Thank you all for the support ^-^