[SOLVED] Motherboard fried or not getting power.

Nov 16, 2021
Specs:
Motherboard: asus prime x570-pro
Cpu: AMD Ryzen 5 2600
Gpu: GIGABYTE RTX 2070 windforce (not used for diag)
Ram: 32G (4x8) ddr4 hyperX fury (1 8GB stick for diag)
Psu: seasonic gx-750w

So my buddy had a asus prime x570-pro motherboard that he bought to use in his new build. he said that when he got it he installed everything and it worked beautifully. he then was having issues one day with his wifi card that he had installed in one of the pcie slots where it would not connect to the internet so he replaced it with a usb style wifi adaptor and then after that it didnt boot anymore he thought that he fried the mobo somehow. i was wondering what the problem could have been so he gave it to me so i could try and figure it out. so i did a bare bones build with his motherboard matched with the components from my own pc. (all specs stated above are from my own PC except the mobo which is what im diagnosing) so i installed the CPU. 1 stick of ram (8GB) Connected all connectors in their respective places (24pin mobo connector and 8 pin CPU connector at the top) the mobo also has an additional 4 pin connector for the CPU which i presume is for extreme overclocking. i also connected my ssd with the OS along with the power cable for the ssd itself. i did not install a GPU since the back of the mobo has an HDMI connection so i assume that it has onboard graphics nor did i install a cooler of any kind since i am strictly testing to see if it will boot at all. i then tried to jump the pins for the front panel power switch with a bridge and.... nothing. no beeps, no light from the mobo RGB and no display. the motherboard also has its on power button on the board so i tried in and still no success. i then tried to replace the CMOS battery with one from my own motherboard and still nothing.

any ideas if it could be anything else or are we looking at a fried motherboard?

Solution
even without a GPU or a IGPU would it not still at least attempt to boot without a display?

Complete barebones PC is: CPU, MoBo, GPU (or iGPU) and RAM. Without OS, you can still boot into BIOS. Now, without GPU (or iGPU), i know no instances where you can power on the PC. Since there wouldn't be any point for that.

because if the mobo was actually getting power and was turned on, the RGB at the back panel of the mobo would light up and the fan at the bottom right of the mobo would spin aswell?

True and in cases where dedicated GPU has died and there's no iGPU (Ryzen CPU builds), all you can get, is some life to the build, LEDs lighting up etc. However, it is possible that when MoBo doesn't detect essential components...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
i did not install a GPU since the back of the mobo has an HDMI connection so i assume that it has onboard graphics

Assuming is bad business.

Just because MoBo has display output port, doesn't mean IT has iGPU. iGPU comes with CPU, and with Ryzen case, with APU. But since you don't have APU, but instead CPU, without iGPU, build doesn't work without dedicated GPU. So, do not assume.

Plug in the dedicated GPU and try again.

Nov 16, 2021
Il give it a shot sometime this week but correct me if im wrong but even without a GPU or a IGPU would it not still at least attempt to boot without a display? because if the mobo was actually getting power and was turned on, the RGB at the back panel of the mobo would light up and the fan at the bottom right of the mobo would spin aswell?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
even without a GPU or a IGPU would it not still at least attempt to boot without a display?

Complete barebones PC is: CPU, MoBo, GPU (or iGPU) and RAM. Without OS, you can still boot into BIOS. Now, without GPU (or iGPU), i know no instances where you can power on the PC. Since there wouldn't be any point for that.

because if the mobo was actually getting power and was turned on, the RGB at the back panel of the mobo would light up and the fan at the bottom right of the mobo would spin aswell?

True and in cases where dedicated GPU has died and there's no iGPU (Ryzen CPU builds), all you can get, is some life to the build, LEDs lighting up etc. However, it is possible that when MoBo doesn't detect essential components, PC won't turn on at all. Built-in safeguard to say so. But it can differ from MoBo to MoBo.

But i've seen instances where people have "tried" to see if hardware works, without RAM and in turn, have fried their MoBo. So, even IF something lights up, it's bad idea to power on incomplete build.

Btw, 0 life out of PC usually means dead MoBo or PSU.
nor did i install a cooler of any kind

Bad idea. It takes mere seconds for CPU to fry itself without any CPU cooler. And all MoBos do have built-in safeguard, where when they do not detect CPU cooler fan spinning, PC won't power on at all.

It's convenient to cut corners but hardware diagnosis, especially MoBo (full build) is something where you can't cut corners. If you do, you can fry the said hardware.

Solution