Question Motherboard has display port. Will monitor connect to gt710 via that port?

rulesprog

Prominent
Mar 14, 2018
I have msi h310i pro and i5-9400f (it does NOT have an igpu). The motherboard has displayport. The gt710 doesn't have displayport. Will I be able to plug monitor in to motherboard's displayport and will it work with gt710 also when hdmi monitor is plugged in gt710 ?!
I really need to know for sure since I'm gonna buy monitor which only has displayport and VGA...

rulesprog

Prominent
Mar 14, 2018
Why exactly? Under which conditions would this work? (maybe I could fix it)
If I hand not-F (WITH igpu) cpu? say 9400
Or what if it was other mb aor gpu Would it ever work with some mb/gpu?

DSzymborski

Titan
To connect a GPU to a monitor, the GPU has to be directly connected to the monitor from the ports on the GPU.

If your CPU has no integrated graphics, there's nothing driving the ports on the motherboard. Whether you connect a monitor to your motherboard, you'll get the same result whether you use a DisplayPort cable or spaghetti.

Reactions: TJ Hooker
What if I had a weak igpu and powerful gpu. Would I be able to use mb's ports while the, say games would be computed on powerful gpu?
I could be wrong, but no you can't do that. You can only use one (integrated) or the other (discrete gpu).

If you have a discrete graphics card plugged into your motherboard, normally that will disable all the motherboard (rear panel) display outputs (in your case, the DVI and the Display ports). There maybe some BIOS setting where you can change this default behavior.

If you don't have a discrete graphics card plugged into your motherboard, and your CPU has integrated graphics, you can use one of the motherboard display outputs.

If you CPU doesn't have integrated graphics, you absolutely cannot use the motherboard display outputs. At least not that I know of.

Please, if I'm incorrect on this, someone correct me!

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Why exactly? Under which conditions would this work? (maybe I could fix it)
If I hand not-F (WITH igpu) cpu? say 9400
Or what if it was other mb aor gpu Would it ever work with some mb/gpu?
I believe there is some sort of hacky way to get your dGPU do output via your motherboard display ports, if you had an iGPU. Same sort of idea as described here.

But why? Just get a cheap HDMI to DP adaptor.

What if I had a weak igpu and powerful gpu. Would I be able to use mb's ports while the, say games would be computed on powerful gpu?
Yes, if you had multiple monitors you could attach one to your graphics card, one to the mobo. Make the one connected to your graphics card your primary to run games on it.

But again, why?

rulesprog

Prominent
Mar 14, 2018
I've read that if I plugged dp into PC and HDMI into monitor it'd be supported natively by DP specification. BUT HDMI to DP is not natively supported and requires usb-powered converter And such converter must not be cheap to not damage hardware!
"Damage can occur to the connected devices if this pin is electrically connected and some of the off-brand cables do just that. Any time a reputable patch cable is used in the signal path this power connection is broken as it should be. "
https://www.tempest-av.com/single-p...-and-DisplayPort-to-HDMI-Conversion-Explained

rulesprog

Prominent
Mar 14, 2018
So I thought the mobo could play role of that "usb-powered converter " but no( Only igpu could probably do such stuff. Moreover I still have no answer to the question whether such "usb-powered HDMI->DP converter " loses quality during conversion. If someone is qualified - please tell me

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
So I thought the mobo could play role of that "usb-powered converter " but no( Only igpu could probably do such stuff.
What makes you say that?

Moreover I still have no answer to the question whether such "usb-powered HDMI->DP converter " loses quality during conversion. If someone is qualified - please tell me
It's converting from one digital format to another. There will be no loss in quality.

https://www.amazon.com/DisplayPort-Converter-FOINNEX-Adapter-Powered/dp/B07G796JF8/

If you convert say mp4 even to mp4 will you lose quality? Yes And even more probably if you convert to Avi. Both those video formats digital, huh?
Unfortunately , Tj Hooker you didn't provide facts
You do not lose quality from using adapters like this. I am using a HDMI to DVI (both digital) adapter and the image is just a clear is if i just ran a DVI cable from my PC to monitor.

Heck, I have even used HDMI to VGA (digital to analogue) adapters without loss of quality as both can support the resolution i needed.

Video formats and files are different. But this does not apply to monitor cables.

If you had an IGPU, you can route your GT710's video output through your motherboards video ports.

However, your 9400f has no IGPU, so you MUST use the display outputs on your GT710, period.

Just get an adapter. There will be no issues that you imagine.

As you are converting a digital signal to another digital signal, there is not much logic involved that would require extra power. You do not need a powered converter.

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics...tronics&sprefix=HDMI+to+,electronics,145&th=1

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
If you convert say mp4 even to mp4 will you lose quality? Yes And even more probably if you convert to Avi. Both those video formats digital, huh?
Unfortunately , Tj Hooker you didn't provide facts
That's because both of those involve lossy compression. You lose data every time you recompress the file. The video coming out of your graphics card is not compressed, so this is not an issue.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Thay
If you had an IGPU, you can route your GT710's video output through your motherboards video ports.

However, your 9400f has no IGPU, so you MUST use the display outputs on your GT710, period.

Just get an adapter. There will be no issues that you imagine.

As you are converting a digital signal to another digital signal, there is not much logic involved that would require extra power. You do not need a powered converter.

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics...tronics&sprefix=HDMI+to+,electronics,145&th=1
If you read the description for that cable, you'll see it's only for a DP output to an HDMI input.

You do actually seem to need an active converter for going from HDMI to DP, which I'll admit is new to me. HDMI uses TMDS signaling, as does DVI. DP uses LVDS, but is capable of outputting TMDS via an alternate mode. But it can't receive TMDS, hence the need for am active converter for HDMI to DP, to convert from TMDS to LVDS.

Last edited: