Discussion Motherboard in design project

Nov 28, 2019
I'm an architecture student and this semester design project is an Arts and Design campus. I'm inspired by the similarities between the motherboard and a typical campus layout.For eg:
  1. Processor Socket: Admin (where decisions are made)
  2. Memory Slots: library,lab (stores quickly accessible data)
  3. Video Card Slot: display hall/auditorium (generates a feed of output to display)
  4. SATA Ports: hostels (storage)
  5. North bridge: interactive spaces (coordinating the data flow)
  6. Expansion slots : mess,ground,parking (add ons)
  7. I/O panel : parking, gates (input,output)

I'm thinking to give elevation to the above spaces, similar to the pc component associated with the slot. Please provide your suggestions and ideas. Thanks.

Ralston18

Titan
Interesting:

Some number of years ago a younger family looked into the computer case I was working on and looked down at the motherboard. Her comment was that "it looked like a city".

=====

Not sure what you mean by "give elevation" but my sense is that you simply wish to expand on the motherboard to campus building analogy based on functional attributes.

I would lean towards "SATA" (actually storage) being the library.

Memory being classroom buildings.

Remember peripheral devices: using I/O and USB ports.

The key is, I think, how you establish your model of the data processing cycle.

Reference:

https://www.flexiprep.com/NIOS-Note...Data-Processing-Concept-Solutions-Part-3.html

The difficulty is in matching or using functional and/or physical attributes with respect to those of campus buildings and their potential counterpart on the motherboard.

Define your "viewpoint".

Nov 28, 2019
Yes, sir I would like to" expand on the motherboard to campus building analogy based on functional attributes ". because the look of the building must have a reason/inspiration.
But it would not be a complete copycat of the motherboard layout. It is about making the buildings appear little similar to their respective socket components.
Viewpoint is like this Example, where the facade matters.
So yes, SATA >Library
Memory> Classrooms .
and the data processing cycle describes the order/sequence of how it is done...
Thanks.

Ralston18

Titan
You are welcome:

Just as a matter of curiosity; What architectural software are you using?

I am not artistic per se, not an architect, and certainly not aware of the requirements and design constraints (if any) with respect to your project.

However, from what I have seen some of today's architectural design software is absolutely amazing.

Younger family members do "projects" of all sorts via Minecraft and Roblox/Bloxburg.

Some get posted on YouTube etc.. Fascinating.

Nov 28, 2019
You are welcome:

Just as a matter of curiosity; What architectural software are you using?

I am not artistic per se, not an architect, and certainly not aware of the requirements and design constraints (if any) with respect to your project.

However, from what I have seen some of today's architectural design software is absolutely amazing.

Younger family members do "projects" of all sorts via Minecraft and Roblox/Bloxburg.

Some get posted on YouTube etc.. Fascinating.
  • Autodesk Revit for Large scale Design.(If the plans are drafted in 2d the software itself generates 3d. Industry standard)
  • Sketchup for minor projects.( people from all fields of work like carpenters and hobbyists use this one as it is the most simple 3D software out there.)
  • All softwares in the AEC Industry 90% use cracked version.
  • I have seen minecraft as a game but for educational or work related Revit and sketchup is enough.
Message me if you find anything interesting. Thanks.