Motherboard only works with minimum components...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AwesomeArnold

Commendable
Oct 8, 2016
Hello I have an M5A78L-M USB3 motherboard but it doesn't work when I put in my GPU (AMD HD 7770) anymore. The problem started occuring when playing a demanding game and there were weird buzzlines all over the display. The GPU is fine though.

It used to work fine for 2 years. I have already narrowed the problem down to the motherboard and PSU (Coolermaster RS-600-ASAB) as anything else has been tested individually on a seperate computer. Unfortunately, I have no other PSU to test anymore. The voltages on the PSU appear to look fine (via HW monitor) and I tried the standard CMOS removal, vaccuuming components etc.

The computer only shows a display with the GPU removed from the motherboard, or when a low-power demanding GPU is installed which only draws power via the motherboard. The GPU, with which the computer won't give a display, is powered via a 6-pin to the PSU. So I'm running on internal graphics now. If I plug the GPU into the motherboard, but still let the display go via the internal graphics, the computer keeps crashing at the Windows circle logo and reboots continously. I see no broken transistors on the motherboard

Another strange quirk is that only the far right RAM-slot of the motherboard works, so that is suspicious...

Does anyone know what the solution to this problem might be? Either PSU or Motherboard?

AwesomeArnold

Commendable
Oct 8, 2016

yeah cuz how can the GPU cause the ethernet port + ram slots to break xD
unless there was some weird power spike which fried the motherboard + gpu at the same time and that it then gradually got worse over time or something

AwesomeArnold

Commendable
Oct 8, 2016

I wasn't there when the licensed technician check it unfortunately. But I will let you know what happens next!

AwesomeArnold

Commendable
Oct 8, 2016

So I tested the new PSU, and it changes nothing unfortunately. Not with the new or old motherboard... Reboots/crashess at the windows spinning circle screen with GPU plugged in and booting via IGFX. Black display when booting via GFX0. :(
I'm thinking about returning the PSU as it is clearly not a PSU problem. I bought a Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 560 2GD5 which comes in 2 days which I will also test but I do not know what is the problem.
If this doesn't work I will return all the component I bought and just build a PC from scratch because the only thing that is then not working is the CPU. It can't be software right?

I'm just really surprised that something happened, so the RAM-slots broke, then the ethernet cable stopped.
I checked the GPU again at my neighbour (with my own eyes) and there it works. Could it have been a power spike that came from the PSU and then affected the CPU somehow or something?

AwesomeArnold

Commendable
Oct 8, 2016

The new PSU I bought is a PurePower10 bequiet! 400W 80Plus Silver and it was really really quiet :p
What do you mean check for boot driver consistency? I use Advanced Systemcare 10.3 with diskscan and there are no errors on the hard disk if this is what you mean? It is a WD Caviar Blue 500GB hard disk by the way.