[SOLVED] Motherboard power pins not working

Nov 30, 2021
Hello, I haven't been using my pc for a week now bec it won't turn on with the power button but i just used it the night before, so i searched a quick fix and long story short i ended up putting my reset switch cable on the power pins on the motherboard so the reset button would act as my power button, however after 2 days same thing happened, pc refuses to power on.

Things i've done:

Bridging power pins on the motherboard with screwdriver(no response)

Checked psu with paper pin trick and fans turned on (both fans from the tower and fan from the psu)

Reseat 8pin and 24pin from the motherboard

plase help... Motherboard also has a light so i assume it's receiving power just not sure if enough. I also inspected the motherboard and theres nothing out of normal like bloated capacitor or burnt smell.

Mobo: Asus tuf b450mpro gaming aura sync

Solution
It worked! it turned on directly after plugging it but i have no display on my monitor nor light on my keyboard and mouse, though this issue aint new to me because of my faulty ram. So is it safe to say the problem is on psu or specifically the 24 power pins? should i just replace my whole psu and i'm good to go? i'm sorry i dont really know much about computers.
Try it a while turning it on that way (I know, a bother) but you want to see if the issue persists.

Possibly re-seating the 24pin a couple times could help, or pushing in the back of the contacts individually using a small screwdriver or something similar with the 24 pin connected (disconnect power cable, of course). The contacts on cheaper connectors often don't make...
Checked psu with paper pin trick and fans turned on (both fans from the tower and fan from the psu)
Did you have the 24 pin disconnected when you used the paper clip trick? You can do it also with it connected, just insert the paper clip in the back of the appropriate contacts.

It sounds like a PSU that's not able to start with a load on it. What PSU do you have? do you have another you could swap in to test it out?

Nov 30, 2021
Did you have the 24 pin disconnected when you used the paper clip trick? You can do it also with it connected, just insert the paper clip in the back of the appropriate contacts.

It sounds like a PSU that's not able to start with a load on it. What PSU do you have? do you have another you could swap in to test it out?
Thanks for the reply. Yes, i have the 24 pin disconnected along with most of the other cables like the 8pin, ssd and hdd's. Sadly i don't have another psu. I will try doing it with the 24 pin connected, i'll tell you if it worked.

Nov 30, 2021
Thanks for the reply. Yes, i have the 24 pin disconnected along with most of the other cables like the 8pin, ssd and hdd's. Sadly i don't have another psu. I will try doing it with the 24 pin connected, i'll tell you if it worked.
It worked! it turned on directly after plugging it but i have no display on my monitor nor light on my keyboard and mouse, though this issue aint new to me because of my faulty ram. So is it safe to say the problem is on psu or specifically the 24 power pins? should i just replace my whole psu and i'm good to go? i'm sorry i dont really know much about computers.

Try it a while turning it on that way (I know, a bother) but you want to see if the issue persists.

Possibly re-seating the 24pin a couple times could help, or pushing in the back of the contacts individually using a small screwdriver or something similar with the 24 pin connected (disconnect power cable, of course). The contacts on cheaper connectors often don't make reliable contact

If it continues to work unreliably, I'm not really sure if the motherboard or PSU is the problem. You can try hooking up the case power connection again just to have it available. But keep the paperclip handy.

As far as replacing the PSU: what brand model? if it's one of the cheap fire hazards it's a good idea to replace it just on principle.

Solution
Nov 30, 2021

Possibly re-seating the 24pin a couple times could help, or pushing in the back of the contacts individually using a small screwdriver or something similar with the 24 pin connected (disconnect power cable, of course). The contacts on cheaper connectors often don't make reliable contact

If it continues to work unreliably, I'm not really sure if the motherboard or PSU is the problem. You can try hooking up the case power connection again just to have it available. But keep the paperclip handy.

As far as replacing the PSU: what brand model? if it's one of the cheap fire hazards it's a good idea to replace it just on principle.
Thanks, my system is a pre built and i just picked my mobo, processor and storage size so i dont really know much about the other components but according to my receipt i have a ygt 500 watt 80+ silver. I think i will be just replacing my psu. Thank you so much!

Nov 30, 2021
Hey! i have a great news, its now working as it did before! i pushed the 24 pin power cables individually and i was able to push 3 wires in and it now boots when bridged, im using the reset wires and cut it off on the case and i'd just connect them to turn on the computer, i guess it would work for now whilst waiting for the cable i ordered, thank you so much!

Reactions: drea.drechsler
Nov 30, 2021
Hey! i have a great news, its now working as it did before! i pushed the 24 pin power cables individually and i was able to push 3 wires in and it now boots when bridged, im using the reset wires and cut it off on the case and i'd just connect them to turn on the computer, i guess it would work for now whilst waiting for the cable i ordered, thank you so much!
one side note, it wouldnt turn on with the power cable connected on the reset button so i just disconnected it and it booted.