[SOLVED] Motherboard questions

spal23

Prominent
Jul 16, 2020
So I'm wondering about a few things when comparing motherboards.
Please see this comparison
Focus on columns 2 (TUF) and 3(Prime).
Looks like the Prime accepts faster memory without overclocking 3200 vs the Tuf 2666. Am I reading this right?

As far as PCIe 4.0x16 slots - it looks like Tuf has only 2 and Prime has 3. So this is saying Prime has 2 accessible from the CPU while Tuf only 1. They both have 1 extra from the chipset. So if want to run two 1660 GPUs and want to take advantage of the PCIe 4.0x16 slots I can on both cards..? I do see that Prime indicates that dual usage of the 4.0 x16 from the CPU will throttle it down to x8. Is this right?

Thanks.

Solution
That all looks correct. The TUF motherboards eschew features and put the money into the VRM instead. Giving you a good CPU overclocking board without the expense of all the other features. Which many people don't care about. I think they also do other stuff like a stronger PCB for the TUF series. Again at the expense of features to keep the price down.

If you do want the overclocking and all the features. Then it'll cost more. The Prime boards are generally cheaper quality than the ROG Strix. But that Prime model looks to have the same VRM as the TUF.
That all looks correct. The TUF motherboards eschew features and put the money into the VRM instead. Giving you a good CPU overclocking board without the expense of all the other features. Which many people don't care about. I think they also do other stuff like a stronger PCB for the TUF series. Again at the expense of features to keep the price down.

If you do want the overclocking and all the features. Then it'll cost more. The Prime boards are generally cheaper quality than the ROG Strix. But that Prime model looks to have the same VRM as the TUF.

Reactions: spal23
Solution

spal23

Prominent
Jul 16, 2020
Thanks. I'm fairly new to all this.
So I assume if I want to run those 2 GPUs on x16 at full speed on the Prime, I need to use one of each, off the cpu and the chipset. Then the next question is I assume the manual tells me which of the Prime slots runs off the cpu vs the chipset. Yes?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
So I'm wondering about a few things when comparing motherboards.
Please see this comparison
Focus on columns 2 (TUF) and 3(Prime).
Looks like the Prime accepts faster memory without overclocking 3200 vs the Tuf 2666. Am I reading this right?

As far as PCIe 4.0x16 slots - it looks like Tuf has only 2 and Prime has 3. So this is saying Prime has 2 accessible from the CPU while Tuf only 1. They both have 1 extra from the chipset. So if want to run two 1660 GPUs and want to take advantage of the PCIe 4.0x16 slots I can on both cards..? I do see that Prime indicates that dual usage of the 4.0 x16 from the CPU will throttle it down to x8. Is this right?

Thanks.
That is going to make a big 0 difference Their not a card that can even saturate a PCI-E 3.0 X16 slot! It takes a 2080 Super or higher to even saturate a PCI-E 2.0 X 16 slot!!!!!!!

SLI is pretty much just DEAD put the cost of the 2 cards and buy the best single card you can!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: spal23