[SOLVED] Motherboard RAM compatibility?

Jul 6, 2020
Hey all! I am looking to expand my RAM from 8gb to 16gb.
The problem is, I took a picture of my RAM and it says, AX4U300038G16-BWZ. DDR4 3000(16A) 8GBXB.
So I looked for one on Amazon and the one they send me to is a 3000mhz, but it's for 2 sticks and I only want 1.
So I check Amazon for a 3000mhz 1 stick and I find one that's identical, just different brand. I did research and others say I can have different brand as long as different specs.
Then, I checked my motherboard compatibility and it says I can only do 2666mhz sticks? https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-PC4-24000-Desktop-Memory/dp/B07B4FRMGV, such as this one.
TLDR
My motherboard compatibility says 2666mhz, but my stick serial number points me to a 3000mhz.
So 2 questions: Do I need 3000mhz, or 2666mhz? And if 3000, can I buy offbrand or do I need the exact one?

Solution
You can buy the 2666 MHz or 3000 MHz (your choice will probably depend on price and availability) ... just be aware that the 3000 MHz may run at 2666 MHz, depending on your CPU. There is no problem with that.

From ASUS:

* The maximum memory frequency supported varies by processor
** DDR4 2666MHz and higher memory modules will run at max. 2666MHz on Intel® 8th Gen. 6-core or higher processors.
@MichaelOGood
I would love to know what motherboard you have. It would make a recommendation easier.

Memory can always run a slower speed, so using a 3000 MHz stick and running it at 2666 MHz is no problem. Normally the 3000 MHz stick will cost a tad more.

Most systems come with 4 memory slot, some with 2. The slots are setup so the memory is run in pairs (dual channel). While pairs don't have to match, you are inviting problems by running unmatched pairs because the slightest difference in timings can cause problems. If you are not running dual channel or can have the memory in different channels, then it is more forgiving when the memory is not the same.

Jul 6, 2020
@MichaelOGood
I would love to know what motherboard you have. It would make a recommendation easier.

Memory can always run a slower speed, so using a 3000 MHz stick and running it at 2666 MHz is no problem. Normally the 3000 MHz stick will cost a tad more.

Most systems come with 4 memory slot, some with 2. The slots are setup so the memory is run in pairs (dual channel). While pairs don't have to match, you are inviting problems by running unmatched pairs because the slightest difference in timings can cause problems. If you are not running dual channel or can have the memory in different channels, then it is more forgiving when the memory is not the same.

Hi there, thank you for answering.
The current motherboard I have is ASUS Prime B360 M-A

Ok ... from your description, you have 1 8GB stick of RAM. You can add another stick, but you will need one that has nearly identical timing to get stable performance. I would try installing them in slots A1 and A2. If that doesn't work or you start having issues with crashes, I would then install them in A1 and B1. You will lose some performance in this configuration. I would love to make a recommendation, but I can't find the timings on what you currently have.

If you want zero headaches, I would buy a 16GB kit that comes with 2 sticks and maybe sell you single on ebay or something.
https://smile.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-2666MHz-Desktop-Memory/dp/B0123ZC44Y

Jul 6, 2020
Ok ... from your description, you have 1 8GB stick of RAM. You can add another stick, but you will need one that has nearly identical timing to get stable performance. I would try installing them in slots A1 and A2. If that doesn't work or you start having issues with crashes, I would then install them in A1 and B1. You will lose some performance in this configuration. I would love to make a recommendation, but I can't find the timings on what you currently have.

If you want zero headaches, I would buy a 16GB kit that comes with 2 sticks and maybe sell you single on ebay or something.
https://smile.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-2666MHz-Desktop-Memory/dp/B0123ZC44Y

So I should buy the 2666mhz not the 3000mhz? Like this one, https://www.amazon.com/XPG-3000MHz-Memory-Modules-AX4U300038G16-DRZ/dp/B071KV78XC?th=1
This is the one that matches mine almost exactly I think, but Im not sure, and thank you.

You can buy the 2666 MHz or 3000 MHz (your choice will probably depend on price and availability) ... just be aware that the 3000 MHz may run at 2666 MHz, depending on your CPU. There is no problem with that.

From ASUS:

** DDR4 2666MHz and higher memory modules will run at max. 2666MHz on Intel® 8th Gen. 6-core or higher processors.

Solution
Jul 6, 2020

From ASUS:

Okay, thank you very much!