Question Motherboard requires 2 ram sticks to boot and only shows half of the memory.

PedramCarter

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013
I got a new motherboard, I had the ab350 gaming (first 1) and it refused to turn on one day. I installed my new motherboard (msi x470 gaming plus) and it beeps at the start and won't boot with 1 ram stick only installed and need both of my ram sticks to boot and only shows 7.95GB out of 16GB.
I have tried resetting cmos I have updated my bios to the latest and before it would show 16 GB and 7.95 GB usable now it only shows 7.95GB in new bios and won't even acknowledge 16GB.
Did I mention I tried to test each stick and it doesn't boot with only 1 and needs both, before bios update I would get a message to say memory modules found in non optimized memory slot which was in the correct one (a1 and b1) it would tell me to put it in a2 b2 which I would do so and it would tell me to do A1 B1 this time.
My ram sticks worked last time and there's no sign of physical damage I have taken extra care, the fact that it needs both of them to work is just weird but I guess they must work if its the case, I have done Ram test also on windows and no issues.
I also did OC and tried to set my ram to 2666 and voltage but it always shows as 2111mhz rather than 2666 even with overclocking.
my specs

ddr4 16 GB (2 X 8) Corsair Vengence LED 2666 1.2v
Asus rx480 8GB
Ryzen 7 1800x
MSI X470 Gaming plus
corsair 8110i cooler
SSD Blue 500gb.

There could be a couple of things going on, but I suspect one of the DIMMS is faulty.

Make a bootable USB stick with memtest86+ on it. Set your boot options to the USB, and boot the system with both sticks, and test. Run it for four passes if you can. It will most likely show errors, and you can determine which DIMM it is. There is no reason a mobo, would require 2 DIMM slots to be populated to boot. So, it's possible the mobo is faulty, but I doubt it.

Also, for now, there is absolutely no point in trying to OC your ram. It's just gonna add another layer of uncertainty when it comes to running the ram. Let it default for now at 2133, just to establish if it's a DIMM that's faulty. Then we can look at setting DOCP/XMP to get the ram running at it's rated speed.

It might be worth looking at setting the timings for the ram manually. Sometimes DOCP/XMP won't work, and to get the DIMMS to work setting manually can help solve the problem. So you can try that, after trying to let them load up at default.

PedramCarter

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013
There could be a couple of things going on, but I suspect one of the DIMMS is faulty.

Make a bootable USB stick with memtest86+ on it. Set your boot options to the USB, and boot the system with both sticks, and test. Run it for four passes if you can. It will most likely show errors, and you can determine which DIMM it is. There is no reason a mobo, would require 2 DIMM slots to be populated to boot. So, it's possible the mobo is faulty, but I doubt it.

Also, for now, there is absolutely no point in trying to OC your ram. It's just gonna add another layer of uncertainty when it comes to running the ram. Let it default for now at 2133, just to establish if it's a DIMM that's faulty. Then we can look at setting DOCP/XMP to get the ram running at it's rated speed.

It might be worth looking at setting the timings for the ram manually. Sometimes DOCP/XMP won't work, and to get the DIMMS to work setting manually can help solve the problem. So you can try that, after trying to let them load up at default.
Thank you for that, also on memory Z it shows both dims dimmb1 and dimma1 with both of their current clocks.

The DIMMS may be recognised in windows (CPU-z), that doesn't mean they are functioning as they should. Trying memtest will tell you if the DIMMS work outside of the OS environment. We're trying to establish if the DIMMS actually work, not just that the OS or some software sees them.

PedramCarter

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013
The DIMMS may be recognised in windows (CPU-z), that doesn't mean they are functioning as they should. Trying memtest will tell you if the DIMMS work outside of the OS environment. We're trying to establish if the DIMMS actually work, not just that the OS or some software sees them.
Sorry what I meant was each individual ram is recognised on bios on the memory Z section on bios, I am running the test as we speak it's 2/4 so far and no errors so far I will let it run to 4 thanks again.

Sorry what I meant was each individual ram is recognised on bios on the memory Z section on bios, I am running the test as we speak it's 2/4 so far and no errors so far I will let it run to 4 thanks again.

It's still the same. The bios may recognise the DIMMS, but it still doesn't mean they are working correctly. It may only be when windows loads that the ram instability or fault presents itself.

Good, let the tests run, and let us know how it goes :)

No probs, you're welcome. Glad to try and help.

PedramCarter

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013
It looks as if it's only test one 8gb stick. Try them one at a time, and see what comes back. I'm sticking with one of those DIMMS being faulty.
That won't work because my bios beeps nonstop and monitor has no signal with 1 stick, with 2 stick it's the same except the beeping stops after a bit and actually boots up to windows 10. By the way, I didn't reinstall windows 10 it's from the old motherboard and works fine despite thinking it won't. I don't think that's the issue as bios seems to be having issues with it too. Thanks again :)

PedramCarter

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013
Is your mem a kit. As in 2 x 8gb matched? Or were they bought as separate sticks of ram?

If you have an old install from another mobo, i'd suggest doing a re-install fo the OS. This could be the issue for sure.
Bought together, they have like a weird label on them to say 16GB (2 X 8GB) despite only being 8GB each not 16GB, they worked fine in my old system I literally swapped out the dead motherboard, The LED on them works fine too, its really annoying I travelled all the way to pick a new one up to not avoid long waited delivery times.

PedramCarter

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013
When you test the sticks individually, are you using slot A2 to boot and do you reset cmos before booting?
I have tested each in all of the slots, I did reset cmos but only once, I just didn't want to constantly remove GPU for the battery, it's so strange, I can do it again if you'd like if there's like a certain way to do it? like do you want me to remove the ram then the battery then insert the ram then battery or visa Versa?

Bought together, they have like a weird label on them to say 16GB (2 X 8GB) despite only being 8GB each not 16GB, they worked fine in my old system I literally swapped out the dead motherboard, The LED on them works fine too, its really annoying I travelled all the way to pick a new one up to not avoid long waited delivery times.

Were they packed in one package, or two individual packs? If they were in two individual packs, they are not guaranteed to work together. The best is always to buy 2 x matched kit.

Given you have the OS on an older mobo, and have transferred, it's advisable to re-install your OS. This is normal after a CPU/Mobo change. Even if it seems like the new mobo works okay.

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
ive seen a similar issue before where the Bios wasn't seeing both RAM modules.. and in that instance the CPU cooler wasn't installed properly, was putting too much pressure on the CPU, I discovered that was the fault by mistake as I was going to replace the board for the person, but once the CPU cooler was installed properly it worked perfect

PedramCarter

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013
Were they packed in one package, or two individual packs? If they were in two individual packs, they are not guaranteed to work together. The best is always to buy 2 x matched kit.

Given you have the OS on an older mobo, and have transferred, it's advisable to re-install your OS. This is normal after a CPU/Mobo change. Even if it seems like the new mobo works okay.
Same pack yep, I'm gonna have to do so at some point (reinstall) but why is it causing issues in bios it also shows as 8GB?
ive seen a similar issue before where the Bios wasn't seeing both RAM modules.. and in that instance the CPU cooler wasn't installed properly, was putting too much pressure on the CPU, I discovered that was the fault by mistake as I was going to replace the board for the person, but once the CPU cooler was installed properly it worked perfect
I tried that too, tightened and loosened and also changed thermal paste.

also same how windows is seeing the 16Gb, I would almost wonder if it doesn't also say 8Gb is hardware reserved. because that what my friends showed, but in Bios was only showing half.

There is no way, 8gbs of system ram is hardware reserved. Just doesn't happen. At most it's about 1gb.

To the OP, do the OS install, save as much data as you can. I suspect that will solve your issues.

What? Are you for real? So the seating of the CPU cooler, put pressure on the CPU, and this is why the mobo didn't recognise the ram? I'm dumbfounded. I just don't know what to say. Unless if you mean the CPU cooler was preventing the DIMMS from being placed properly, (which can happen) there is absolutely no reason to this answer.

PedramCarter

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013
There is no way, 8gbs of system ram is hardware reserved. Just doesn't happen. At most it's about 1gb.

To the OP, do the OS install, save as much data as you can. I suspect that will solve your issues.
I will give it a go but why is the bios not registering it if windows is having issues with it ? Shouldn't it show normal in bios,
What? Are you for real? So the seating of the CPU cooler, put pressure on the CPU, and this is why the mobo didn't recognise the ram? I'm dumbfounded. I just don't know what to say. Unless if you mean the CPU cooler was preventing the DIMMS from being placed properly, (which can happen) there is absolutely no reason to this answer.
I'm gonna try give this one more go.

PedramCarter

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013
Most knowledgable posters here, will always recommend a new OS install after a CPU/Mobo upgrade. It's just standard practise. I'm sure it will solve you problems. If not, report back and I will eat my pants :) and then hide under a rock! :ROFLMAO::tearsofjoy:
Once again I appreciate that I will try that, may I ask what reason do you think the beeping noise is caused I think its to do with the same issue, can windows reinstall also cure bios beeping? :D

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
and yes I am absolutely 100% serious, the issue my friend had was all due to the CPU stand offs not being proper and it must of caused too much pressure on part of the CPU. when the problem was first discovered his OS(windows 10) was showing he had 8Gb of Ram however 4Gb was 'hardware reserved" .. so he called me and I went to check out the PC, I did everything I could think of and couldn't get windows to use all the ram . and in the Bios it was only showing 4Gb available on a single channel. so I tested each stick and individually etc. and it all was looking like the DIMM port being bad. someone had suggested reseating the CPU , so as a last resort I tried that. at first I left the CPU cooler just sitting on the chip, not expecting any promising results. however this time the bios showed all 8Gb of Ram. so I thought ok .. maybe somehow CPU came loose (no clue how but hey .. it was working.. ) or so I thought.. once I tightened down CPU cooler again it went back to how it was, only using half the ram.. so after that I realized it had something to do with the cooler. I then took it off and unmounted board etc.. and noticed the standoff wasn't quite right. so once that was fixed, everything worked perfectly. only thing I can conclude is that there was too much pressure on one part of the CPU, Pins etc.. making the one DIMM slot unusable.

PedramCarter

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013
and yes I am absolutely 100% serious, the issue my friend had was all due to the CPU stand offs not being proper and it must of caused too much pressure on part of the CPU. when the problem was first discovered his OS(windows 10) was showing he had 8Gb of Ram however 4Gb was 'hardware reserved" .. so he called me and I went to check out the PC, I did everything I could think of and couldn't get windows to use all the ram . and in the Bios it was only showing 4Gb available on a single channel. so I tested each stick and individually etc. and it all was looking like the DIMM port being bad. someone had suggested reseating the CPU , so as a last resort I tried that. at first I left the CPU cooler just sitting on the chip, not expecting any promising results. however this time the bios showed all 8Gb of Ram. so I thought ok .. maybe somehow CPU came loose (no clue how but hey .. it was working.. ) or so I thought.. once I tightened down CPU cooler again it went back to how it was, only using half the ram.. so after that I realized it had something to do with the cooler. I then took it off and unmounted board etc.. and noticed the standoff wasn't quite right. so once that was fixed, everything worked perfectly. only thing I can conclude is that there was too much pressure on one part of the CPU, Pins etc.. making the one DIMM slot unusable.
Tried it again, I left it ultra-loose nothing, tightened it nothing, tightened it just enough so that it's secure still nothing. I'm not saying you guys are wrong and I will reinstall windows too but I really doubt that will solve my problems, I have issues with booting also bios just beeps constantly and no signal until about 30 seconds and then stops beeping and boots.