[SOLVED] Motherboard smoking

Jul 26, 2020
I have an MSI B350M Gaming Pro motherboard which has worked great for 3 years. The last few days, the computer wouldn't boot sometimes, but other times would. Today, I turned it on and immediately saw smoke coming out of the top of the case. Upon inspection, something had fried. Pics attached. Can someone tell me specifically what burned. What would cause this? Thanks.

Fried

Solution
That looks like the VRM area for the CPU, you're going to need a new board, ofc. Might want to state the make and model of the PSU as well as it's age so you don't have a repeat of the issue when the RMA'd board(assuming you have warranty) comes in.

Lutfij

Titan
That looks like the VRM area for the CPU, you're going to need a new board, ofc. Might want to state the make and model of the PSU as well as it's age so you don't have a repeat of the issue when the RMA'd board(assuming you have warranty) comes in.

Reactions: vMax
Solution
Jul 26, 2020
I'm not sure of the warranty status. A new board is needed for sure. I'm just trying to determine what other component may be responsible for the failure, or if it is just a motherboard failing. The PSU is EVGA 500B Bronze Power Supply. Oddly enough, the computer boots to the home screen, will display as normal for a few seconds, then disappears, then displays again, then disappears etc etc.

TRENDING THREADS