Motherboard sound jacks won't work...suggestions?

Maybe someone can help me.

I have an ASUS socket 775 MB with Realtek ALC 882 onboard chip - 8 channel sound. I am using Logitech X-230 32 watt three way speakers. I can not seem to get the sound to play from the motherboard jacks. I have reinstalled the Realtek drivers and also updated and reinstalled the MB sound drivers, but nothing. No matter which jack I use, line in, mic in, jacks for various speakers, etc...I cannot get any sound from the MB jacks to the speakers.

I have the audio hook up from the front of my case run to the onboard MB audio jack and I can plug into the front panel jack and get all the sound I need. Have messed with the desktop sound/speaker control from Realtek until total frustration. I would like to know why my MB back panel jacks fail. Anybody?

Thank you.

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
If I recall properly, there is a setting (preferenc) that allows you to select which jacks you want to use. I can't recall if its under the multimedia section/ control panels. I do know most asus mb generally will pop up a window any time a device is plugged in to the audio jacks.

Sorry can be any more help, but have you checked the manual.

I have clicked on every thing I can open that I know of on the desktop control, both realtek and OS control for volume. Plays fine when plugged in to the front port I connected the the supplied MB front audio port.

I'll have to go through the manual. I was thinking maybe the MB was defective, but sound works fine through that front audio jack on the MB?

MrsD

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Have you enabled the onboard audio in your bios?

You say you re-installed the motherboard sound drivers and the realtek sound drivers? There should be one sound driver, on the motherboard chipset driver disk. Probably the realtek if thats what audio chip you have. Secondly have you tried the speakers recently on another computer? They do just die sometimes. :cry:

segap21

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
I had a similar 'problem' on my ga-k8n ultra-9. That is, until I realised that the motherboard only allows you to either plug it in the back ports OR reroute it to the front ports and for you to reroute it to the front, you have to remove one of the jumper settings on the motherboard. All I needed to do is put the jumper back in its place and the back ports work fine. I'm not sure if your ASUS board has the same sort of jumper setting or if it allows you to simultaneously use front and back ports, but I'd have a good check in the manual to see whether that's the case.

Hope this helps.

Have you enabled the onboard audio in your bios?

You say you re-installed the motherboard sound drivers and the realtek sound drivers? There should be one sound driver, on the motherboard chipset driver disk. Probably the realtek if thats what audio chip you have. Secondly have you tried the speakers recently on another computer? They do just die sometimes. :cry:

Audio is enabled in BIOS. I installed the realtek sound driver from the MB Cd. Then I updated the MB audio driver from the Asus website. Doesn't matter, no sound when I plug the speakers into the rear MB jacks. I haven't tried the speakers in any other system, but the speakers sound fine when I plug them into the front audio jack which is plugged into the MB aux audio jack.

Maybe I'm not talking sweet enough to the thing? Can't be. hahahaha!

what she said......if you have onboard sound enabled in bios,and in device manager,and in the control panel,and it still wont work,,,,,,destroy your motherboard .i suggest gasoline and a match while its running.
just joking.if it doesnt work after all that rma the stupid thing.

I may RMA it. Have it reamed, rapped and rotated I mean. I might try some other speakers in the back speaker jacks. I have no faith in a successful outcome, but it's all I got left. I may mess with the desktop Realtek controls some more. (Looks downward and knows there is no hope.)

I had a similar 'problem' on my ga-k8n ultra-9. That is, until I realised that the motherboard only allows you to either plug it in the back ports OR reroute it to the front ports and for you to reroute it to the front, you have to remove one of the jumper settings on the motherboard. All I needed to do is put the jumper back in its place and the back ports work fine. I'm not sure if your ASUS board has the same sort of jumper setting or if it allows you to simultaneously use front and back ports, but I'd have a good check in the manual to see whether that's the case.

Hope this helps.

Yeah, I opened it up and unplugged the front audio jacks from the auxillary audio jack on MB. Tried using the back audio connectors and nothing. Had to put the front audio connect back on and still using that front port for sound.

I'll look in the manual and see if I can find any jumper like you mentioned. I have done nothing to the jumpers so far on this MB.

reininop

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2006

Hope this helps.

I can agree with this guy, I had the same problems with an Abit board once. There was an audio jumper that I had set for the front ports but further reading made me realize that enabling it disabled the main back ports. I would deffinately check your motherboard documentation to see if it has audio jumper settings.

Arucard

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
I just got an Asus mobo with the same Realtek you have, and had a similar problem. There's a program that comes with it, and when you plug in a jack, it asks what you'reusing the jack for. had problems as it always wanted to use my front speakers jack as line in or something. when I get home tonight, I'll try and see what it is.

I looked through the manual and got it working. Really, just kept messing around with realtek software desktop setting and after 2 weeks of tinkering with it it works! Realtek has an on screen pop up when you plug the speakers into the different jacks on the back panel MoBo. I just kept fiddling with that pop up and it finally worked. Nothin I hadn't done 10 t or 20 times before. You got me?

CactuarZrule

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
I would like help on a similar issue:
My desktop computer won't play any kind of sound from the audio jacks... front or back, they were working not too long ago, unfortunately, something my mother did on the computer caused this problem.

Windows Media Player says that the computer has no recognisable audio devices attached, but they're headphones....

I also find that if I go to the control panel/ sounds, speech, and audio devices/ adjust system volume... everything is diabled...

I'm afraid she might have deleted a driver that allows the computer to use the sound card... anyone know how I can fix the problem without opening up the computer?

AshFall

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2010
I too have the same problem. My MB is Asus P6T Deluxe V2. The sound was working fine until I opened up my PC to clean the dust out of it. Now my 5.1 surround system front L/R speakers do not work. I made sure that the speakers work fine and the wires work fine. It's just the green audio jack on the MB that does not work. However when I tried the one in front of the the case it works just fine. Now what to do with the back audio jack??? Please help.

AshFall

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2010
okay after a long afternoon, I got to fix the problem. I downloaded and tried many drivers for my MB and finally Windows7 detects the dmn green back jack plug and the sound turns on :)