Motherboard trouble: AK73 Pro

G

Hope someone can help, here's the situation:

Building my own machine, just received the motherboard, cpu, fans, case, etc. Here's the pertinant information.

- Athlon Thunderbird 1.1 Ghz
- Aopen AK73 Pro Motherboard (CPU, fan, and motherboard all supposedly integrated and tested by TC Computers)
- 256 RAM, Kingston I think, single DIMM
- 300W power supply
- Maxtor 15 gig HD (works on old machine)
- Hercules Prophet II GTS video card (works on old machine)

Trouble is this; I set everything up, connected all the cables, set all the switches on the board, make sure all connections are in, etc. I hit the power, and nothing happens. Fans don't spin, lights don't come on, nothing happens at all.

I had a local shop test the power supply, they said it's working fine. I've tried removing drives (though I'd think if it was a drive compatability issue, it would at least start up). I've tried removing cards, trying with an older AGP video card, etc. No luck.

Any ideas on what to do next? Is there a way I can verify that this is a fried board, if that's what it is? If so, what process/equipment do I need to verify that?

any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated. Please respond to ihogan@mbsnav.com. Thanks,

ian

G

Test your CPU Heatsink fan, see if it works. Many motherboards will not start at all if there isn't a working fan installed.
Furthermore: An ATX power supply will not run or spin it's fan if no power is drained from it. So: A. your ATX switch is defective (I encountered that once, luckily I already thought the switch 'clicked' funny), or B. your mainboard is being short circuited or was already dead.

But try the CPU fan first, it's the easiest to test..... Then test the ATX switch by taking off the switch connector from the mainboard and then touch the two ATX switch connection pins on the mainboard very briefly with a screwdriver...they have to make short contact, the + and-. This simulates a working switch and so it might come on now.If not...it's the mainboard... try another. Or take it out the case, take every thing out of the board except the RAM, CPU+cooler and the video.... Reconnect the ATX powercable outside the case and the evil machine sould come to life with the screwdriver trick I mentioned....

Good luck.