Question Motherboard won’t boot, was hoping someone else might have an idea of what to troubleshoot.

Tprior87

Reputable
Feb 17, 2017
Hello,
I’m currently having an issue where my motherboard won’t seem to stay powered on.

Pc parts:
Motherboard: asus rampage IV black edition
Processor: intel core i7-3930k [socket LGA2011]
Ram: Corsair dominator @3.2ghz ddr3
Psu: 650w Corsair 650tx

so, I normally keep my pc running. About 2-3 days ago my kB and mouse stopped working. I unplugged and replugged them back in and nothing seemed to work. Next thing I know the pc turns off and continues to loop in a weird power cycle. My first instinct was the psu, I had a spare Corsair CX600 and tried using that, got the same issues. I eventually tried using different parts and even removing everything just to find the board itself would just do it on its own. I tried clearing cmos through the button on the mb and clearing it through the battery (even used the jumper on the MB to try and reset it); nothing worked. The MB also has two bios options and neither seem to work. I’ve tried 3 completely different cmos batteries as well. I’m at my wits end and can’t seem to think of anything else I can try.... I recorded a couple different videos of the device. I’m posting here hoping I come across someone who might have an alternative idea or someone who might have had the same issue at one point.

videos:
https://youtube.com/shorts/GHlUT5kumW8
https://youtube.com/shorts/HXF6d77mbuU

Thank you for your support,

-Tim

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well, that one is tricky. Same behavior even without a CPU. That would indicate it is failing its own board POST.

Check the USB ports for debris or bent pins, a short on the 5V could cause symptoms like this. Soon as the USB controller tries to go, detects sub 5V on the line and shuts off the rest of the system to protect it. I would try and measure the 5V in that situation.

Since you are testing it outside of the chassis and with a minimum of parts installed, you have ruled out pretty much everything else.

Could always try USB Flashback and put on a fresh BIOS, just to see.

Given the age of the board, might be time to consider an upgrade... :(

Reactions: Tprior87

Tprior87

Reputable
Feb 17, 2017
I checked cpu pins, I saw a couple bent and bent them back but they didn’t touch each other; truth be told they weren’t in to bad of shape. I checked the USB ports but nothing seemed out of shape. I’m currently reviewing instructions on the usb flash back; will let you know how that goes.

I have been considering an upgrade. I currently have this hardware because a friend had given it to me. My old motherboard with an i5-4690k had fried. I’ve been saving up for a new car and currently financing my new tv on my CC so I was hoping this current set up would last me a while. This is just my luck. 😅

thank you for your reply! I very much appreciate you taking your time to write back!

-Tim

Tprior87

Reputable
Feb 17, 2017
Managed to get the bios flash to work. Installed the beta bios on “bios 2” and the stock on “bios 1”. I quadruple checked all the pins on the board, cpu, usb, etc and couldn’t find anything touching or broken. At one point one of the cpu pins looked a tad bit bent but I used a Bobby pin to put it back in place. Unfortunately, I still couldn’t get the board to boot. I think I have an old motherboard with an amd fx-6350 I might be able to use until I save up for a new mb, ram and cpu. However, and I really really really do understand this is a long shot, if there was anyone who had gone through a similar situation and found a solution I’d love to hear from you! I know I’m grasping at straws here, but I’d just rather not take ten step backwards. 😅

as always, thanks for reading!

-Tim