Question Motherboard won't recognize RAM ?

Macovitch

Prominent
Feb 7, 2022
New build

z690-f
I7-13700k
rtx3070
Corsair Vengeance CMK64GX5M2B5200C40 - DDR5 5200 2x32
850W Plat PSU

No POST, No BOOT
Hooked everything up, CPU light flashes red for a quick second, then DRAM led holds steady on orange/yellow. Tried Dual channel in all configurations, can get system to boot(as though everything's fine) with only 1 stick in A2 slot (does not matter which stick) please help

If both sticks work in the A2 slot, but neither of them will work in the B2 slot, I'd pull the CPU and check for bent pins, even one bent pin, on the motherboard. If there are none then it's likely a motherboard problem or it may be that the memory kit simply isn't compatible with that board. That's a thing too. Just because it's the right TYPE of memory, doesn't necessarily mean it's been validated as compatible on that board.

It's definitely not on the motherboard QVL list that I can see and I'm not seeing any of the DDR5 Z690 or Z790 boards showing listings yet on Corsair's memory finder, so I can't validate it that way.

Could also be a BIOS issue.

What is the current motherboard BIOS version?

Macovitch

Prominent
Feb 7, 2022
If both sticks work in the A2 slot, but neither of them will work in the B2 slot, I'd pull the CPU and check for bent pins, even one bent pin, on the motherboard. If there are none then it's likely a motherboard problem or it may be that the memory kit simply isn't compatible with that board. That's a thing too. Just because it's the right TYPE of memory, doesn't necessarily mean it's been validated as compatible on that board.

It's definitely not on the motherboard QVL list that I can see and I'm not seeing any of the DDR5 Z690 or Z790 boards showing listings yet on Corsair's memory finder, so I can't validate it that way.

Could also be a BIOS issue.

What is the current motherboard BIOS version?

BIOS version says 1601 x64, Im planning to update that after I get windows working.

ASUS's QVL says the memories compatible, if theres none on corsair's would that make or break the memory for this MB? https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-z690-f-gaming-wifi-model/helpdesk_qvl_memory/

I pulled the CPU a while ago, I did not see any out of the ordinary pins or debris in the socket. I will double check to make sure.

So, your 13700k isn't even officially supported until BIOS version 2004. I'd recommend updating to the latest BIOS before doing anything else, with Windows, or worrying about the memory. Just use the BIOS flashback feature, update to the latest BIOS version.

Please note the instructions to first “Before BIOS update, please download Intel ME update tool from ASUS support site, and update ME firmware to Version 16.1.25.1885 to ensure optimized system settings.” before updating the BIOS.