Moto X Teardown Reveals that Made in USA Costs $5 Extra

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grandmastersexsay

Honorable
May 16, 2013

You're a moron. Protectionist policies never work. They hurt the job market and the consumer. This phone showed it cost over 70% more just to assemble it in the United States in non union territory. What if every part was taxed or had to be manufactured in the US? That entire phone would cost 70% more. Assuming a $226 manufacturing charge, the 16GB iphone 5 goes from $200 on contract to $360 on contract, and that's conservative.

That of course is just the tip of the iceberg. Go ask Cuba how they're doing.

Aug 15, 2013

I agree that the government needs to be more concerned about the general public but the general public is poor so they can't contribute to the reelection fund so your voice will be ignored. .

Regardless tariffs and other protectionist policies are bad economic policy not to mention a violation of international trade laws in many cases. Realistically American manufacturing is only going to be competitive when the employees are mostly semi-skilled (not just a pair of hands) and the routine tasks are automated.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
"EPA, OSHA, the highest corporate tax" - Yet China has pollution and safety problems out the ass and people work for almost nothing.

EPA - keeps companies from being allowed to POISON the air we breathe, the water we drink and the food we eat. It saves lives and SAVED money.

OSHA - Helps to regulate safety rules to protect workers for injury and death. In a slave-labor country, if a worker loses his arm... too bad, he's fired. Easy to replace... not worth the $5 safety bar or other such devices.

Taxes? US Taxes are pretty low. Lets see, the taxes helps to build the roads and support systems that ALLOWS business to setup their building, etc. Our taxes pays for the cops, the fire dept, the military, etc, etc...

By all means, you are FREE to leave the USA and live in 3rd world countries without infrastructure.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
IF you asked me if I wanted my phone made in asia for $600 or $605 for the USA model there is no question I'd take USA made every day of the week. I'd likely say the same at $95 vs. $100 also. USA made please. $5 isn't worth feeding china's (etc) economy rather than my own.

Status
Not open for further replies.