[SOLVED] Mouse jitter on plain surfaces

Aug 15, 2019
Not too sure if this the the correct place to ask my question but I'm getting a little desperate.
Recently my old mouse died, it was a very good mouse and I'm not sure what happened to it but I decided to move on. I took a look around my house and found one of my old gaming mouses (about 2 or 3 years in storage). After plugging it, it lit up and did its RGB effect like usual. But when moving the mouse over a plain surface it doesn't seen to respond. Black, white, matt, gloss nothing happens. I went out and bought a grid paper and accidently discovered it started responding on top of the gridded paper. It was moving like its suppose to, but when I stop the mouse on a intersection of a grid or the grid line itself, it starts twitching. Its definitely the mouses issue, as I've tried my friends mouse on my laptop and it's working fine. Tried the 'gaming' mouse on my friends laptop and the issue continues to persist.

At this point I realised the mouse requires a patterned surface in order to scan, and if I stop half way on a surface (between white and black) it starts to twitch. Anyone knows a quick fix? When gaming I need to hold the mouse very steady at times and the twitching sure doesn't help (If anyone plays War Thunder they might understand the pain)! I'd prefer not to buy another mouse as it would be a waste of $20. But if I can't find a solution there isn't much I can do.
The mouse is one of those unbranded generic 'gaming' mouses, with what I think is a laser or a really bad optical sensor.

Solution
D
it's a defective mouse. just get a good one, I hear Corsair makes nice ones, I love my stupid cheap Chinese made Rosewill M59. it works flawlessly on anything but glass, i needed a mousepad for my glass desk at home, laser goes right through it otherwise.. lol

Csib1337

Prominent
Jul 16, 2019
Sometimes a dissambely and a fine cleaning can sort it out. If the optic Have a malfunction Im not sure you Can fix that. It also very easy to clean. Maybe the optic Have a contact problem or its Just dirty or dusty. I hope it helps a bit. I would recommend to move the cable and check how the optic behave if it moves etc.

Reactions: warriorninja
D

Deleted member 14196

it's a defective mouse. just get a good one, I hear Corsair makes nice ones, I love my stupid cheap Chinese made Rosewill M59. it works flawlessly on anything but glass, i needed a mousepad for my glass desk at home, laser goes right through it otherwise.. lol

Reactions: warriorninja
Solution