[SOLVED] Mouse locking ports recently, needs shut down to fix temporarily. Need help urgently

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ahmedsalmanbajwa

Reputable
May 5, 2018
So I hope whoever reads this is doing great during these times, but I unfortunately encountered an issue recently out of nowhere. Every 5-10 or so minutes my usb ports will lock up, this happens faster when Im gaming (roughly 2 minutes) and I can switch from front to back ports to get an additional 10 minutes before all usb ports are locked and I can do nothing. Lights etc are all on and from my deduction, the mouse seems to be the issue as where ever I plug it, it will lock the ports. I will also hear the disconnecting and reconnecting noises from windows while I'll be getting messages online and my character in game will still be moving (keyboard also locks up, only registering the last key I pressed). The only temporary fix is rebooting my pc over and over, this has lead me to rebooting my pc nearly 26 times a day !

I have Reinstalled all drivers, done whatever I could with usb hubs and controllers in device manager, power saving etc
I have checked/updated bois
Updated windows
Used a different mouse
Connected my mouse (Logitech G300s) with my laptop and works fine for hours
checked event log and I get the following

MDM ConfigurationManager: Command failure status. Configuraton Source ID: ({C2E67D95-A27A-4CF7-8664-BE60B4D62257}), Enrollment Type: (FamilySafety), CSP Name: (AppLocker), Command Type: (Clear: first phase of Delete), Result: (./Vendor/MSFT/AppLocker/FamilySafety/FamilySafetyGroup).

MDM ConfigurationManager: Caller did not specify user to impersonate to. Targetted user sid: (NULL) Result: (Unknown Win32 Error code: 0x86000022).

and yes, the psu is absolutely fine
I have no idea what else I can do but I do need help urgently with this! thx in advance for any ideas suggested

Pc Specs -
Core I5 4570 3.2 ghz
Gtx 750 ti
8 gb ram
1 Tb hard drive
Dell Optiplex 9020 (casing and mobo not changed)
PSU is the generic one which comes with the pc - 290 watts
Windows 10 - OS

Last edited:
Solution
It could be a power issue where it turns mouse off to allow everything else to keep running, but that normally disables all USB, not a specific device each time. And you would think it would be in all games, not just some.

I don't think its MB as it happens in any slot.

works in safe mode? I can't recall, can't play games in safe mode though.

ahmedsalmanbajwa

Reputable
May 5, 2018
i would run a clean boot until you sure it doesn't happen. then add 1 startup program, test it for a day or so, add another. repeat that until you find cause.
You are trying to figure out which program is to blame, no point rushing it.

win 10 by default isn't off when you shut down, its in a hybrid hibernate state. The only time its actually off is during a restart.

With fast startup on, when you start PC it loads a file that has a copy of all previously running drivers + certain system files so instead of restarting all the hardware at launch, its already got the drivers running.

On a restart it actually has to start the drivers up and if the hardware is being difficult it can cause problems like that.

SO while its only waking up on a start up, its got more work to do on a restart.
Just played the same game that 100% kills the mouse on the laptop and it was fine(nearly 2 hours, mouse hasn't ever lasted above 30 minutes in this game), perhaps that one time it crashed was just bad timing
soo the problem is solely in the pc itself

ahmedsalmanbajwa

Reputable
May 5, 2018
i would run a clean boot until you sure it doesn't happen. then add 1 startup program, test it for a day or so, add another. repeat that until you find cause.
You are trying to figure out which program is to blame, no point rushing it.

win 10 by default isn't off when you shut down, its in a hybrid hibernate state. The only time its actually off is during a restart.

With fast startup on, when you start PC it loads a file that has a copy of all previously running drivers + certain system files so instead of restarting all the hardware at launch, its already got the drivers running.

On a restart it actually has to start the drivers up and if the hardware is being difficult it can cause problems like that.

SO while its only waking up on a start up, its got more work to do on a restart.
The game crashes the mouse with no other applications running, def cleared the laptop, only happens on pc with all mice, not just the G300s

ahmedsalmanbajwa

Reputable
May 5, 2018
is it any game or just the one?
mostly two games
its very picky
Black ops zombies mode - Will crash 20 minutes in
Multiplayer? wont crash
Gta V solo? won't crash
Gta V multiplayer - will crash
and so on, I have pretty much tried the clean boot thing to no avail and recently my secondary mouse has started to crash alot more too
Its absolutely baffling to me on what it could be

ahmedsalmanbajwa

Reputable
May 5, 2018
maybe you need to try a clean install of windows (unless you already have and it didn't help)

it must be a driver problem so reinstall would force windows to get all new drivers. could be some random conflict.
already clean installed, and problem came back. Also weirdly enough the lights in the G300s flickers (including the optical light below) when this happens but the other mouse doesn't flicker, it just keeps on and the ports die

Colif

Win 11 Master
So i wonder if the other Logitech mouse uses LGS or windows drivers.

since it only happens in some games, I have to think its software causing it. I wouldn't think hardware be that selective.

Can you download and run Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html

All it does is looks at drivers installed; it won't install any (this is intentional as 3rd party driver updaters often get it wrong)

When you run it, go into view tab and set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, will make list shorter.

Can you take a screenshot from (and including)Driver name to (and including)Creation date.

upload it to an image sharing website and show link here

its always possible its some other hardware conflicting with it. I have had opposite before, my mouse conflicted with my gpu and caused it to turn off. So it could be something else that is slowly dying and only shows up in certain situations

ahmedsalmanbajwa

Reputable
May 5, 2018

since it only happens in some games, I have to think its software causing it. I wouldn't think hardware be that selective.

Can you download and run Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html

All it does is looks at drivers installed; it won't install any (this is intentional as 3rd party driver updaters often get it wrong)

When you run it, go into view tab and set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, will make list shorter.

Can you take a screenshot from (and including)Driver name to (and including)Creation date.

its always possible its some other hardware conflicting with it. I have had opposite before, my mouse conflicted with my gpu and caused it to turn off. So it could be something else that is slowly dying and only shows up in certain situations
https://ibb.co/gPCmP9H
that should be it

ahmedsalmanbajwa

Reputable
May 5, 2018

oh and the other mouse isn't a logitech mouse, it def uses generic windows drivers

ahmedsalmanbajwa

Reputable
May 5, 2018
the only file there that could maybe be the cause is vanguard, anti cheat. It sometimes thinks it owns the pc its installed on and will blobk other things from running.

I assume synaptics is for a touchpad
Indeed, but Vanguard is not the issue as I installed it recently (its for Valorant) the mouse issue was going on without it too

Colif

Win 11 Master
i guess there have to be some problems I can't blame on it :)

do you have a touch pad? synaptics is about only driver there that is USB related, or could be.

your lan drivers are old but I doubt thats cause.

I am not sure what cause is.

ahmedsalmanbajwa

Reputable
May 5, 2018
i guess there have to be some problems I can't blame on it :)

do you have a touch pad? synaptics is about only driver there that is USB related, or could be.

your lan drivers are old but I doubt thats cause.

I am not sure what cause is.
The pc problem that has left everyone confused XD
I don't have a touchpad tho
I do think it has to be something with the fact that this mouse doesn't let windows shut down or restart, the pc just keeps itself on during the black screen never shutting off with the mouse in

Colif

Win 11 Master
It could be a power issue where it turns mouse off to allow everything else to keep running, but that normally disables all USB, not a specific device each time. And you would think it would be in all games, not just some.

I don't think its MB as it happens in any slot.

works in safe mode? I can't recall, can't play games in safe mode though.

Last edited:
Solution