Question mouse middle button weird malfunction

HarryLostone

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2013
Hello there, so here is my weird issue. I bought a gaming mouse some time ago (CMstorm mizar), in the beginning it was working fine, but after a couple months, the middle button, when I pressed it to open a link to a new tab, it would open multiple tabs (1 to 8). I was certain that most likely it was a hardware issue, i tried it on my laptop and the problem appeared there TOO...

So, I went to the store I bought it to have it checked, the employee plugged it in his pc and tried to open new tabs, it was working perfectly... He even tried it in his second pc, still, it would open only one tab per click... He even had me tried it myself to be sure about it...

I came back home, used a different usb port (just in case), the problem is still here. I tried it on my laptop again, still messed up.
I tried a different mouse to my pc, it's working fine... on laptop too...

I went to coolermaster website and downloaded the latest firmware for the mouse (the mouse doesn't need any driver to function, but well, i had to try everything), the problem is still here. It doesn't matter how hard i press the button or what DPI i will set... I'm using windows 7 and the mouse is windows 7 compatible, I don't think my specs matter (i5 cpu, msi z87 mobo) but if they do let me know so i can give you full details.

Should I try setting a delay to this specific button with a program (if this is possible) ? Because from what I understand, the button acts like I'm keeping it pressed down for much time, although it's not clear since it doesn't matter how long I press it, even if I tap it may open like 7 tabs... It is not a browser issue since this is happening to both Mozzilla and Chrome, and in any game I play.

Does anyone had some similar issue or have any suggestion on how to proceed ? I don't want to get back to the store because they already proved me that the mouse is not faulty and it works perfect, so I think there is nothing they can do (for now).

Thanks for any reply, have a nice day !

Generally, I don't trust store employees to confirm a problem. They have a conflict of interest - they want to deny you a reason to return the product. Fortunately, we live in an age where everyone has a video camera in their pocket. I would shoot video with your phone demonstrating the problem. Show that video to the store as proof. That way an employee cannot deny your return just because he claims he is "unable" to reproduce the problem.*

Just to be sure, I'd try it on a friend's computer. Either the mouse button is faulty, or you've got some software running on both your desktop and laptop which is causing the issue. Since it worked fine for months, changing your button delays or other settings is unlikely to help (unless changing those settings is what caused the problem in the first place).

* In the store employee's defense, the trip over to the store may have jostled the insides of the mechanical mouse button enough to where it worked when he tried it. But that doesn't mean the mouse is OK - clearly it does not work some of the time. Video can help prove that you have a real problem, and aren't making it up just so you can get a shiny new mouse.

HarryLostone

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2013
Well, the employee was really helpful, as I said he even let me do the "test", and believe me i clicked a hundred tabs on his browser to make sure that nothing's wrong. But I should try it on another computer just to be sure, after that I'm guessing that the video you suggested would be a solid proof. Tbh I dont care for a new mouse, anyway this one is not like a high end one, so the refund won't really be helpful since i have to look all over again for a vfm gaming mouse that my hand feels comfortable to, I just want it fixed :p
I will figure it out within the next days and if I have any new information about what is causing the issue, i will share it here just in case someone has the same problem and is looking for solutions. Thanks for the reply !