Question Mouse randomly turning on and off

messagetyper

Commendable
Apr 17, 2018
I recently started to have this problem in which my wired mouse would turn on and off. The usb sound does not play when it does turn itself off. I've had my mouse connected to a USB 2.0 port and it has been fine until the other day. When I do connect it to a USB 3.0 port, it has more chances of turning itself off. The keyboard consistently stays on however.

For other usb devices, they're all fine, but I've had my USB headphone jack die twice (it's connected to a front USB 2.0 port), and then turn back on along with the mouse but both of them don't always turn off together. Is this a mouse/mobo hardware issue? Or something wrong with my PC's power?

4745454b

Titan
I had this issue when I upgraded to my old PC. First PC with USB 3 on it. It was a brand new mouse. I tried everything including wiring a USB with constant 5V power. Nothing work. I finally tracked the issue down to the mouse I was using. Even a second brand new identical model mouse had the issue. Only a used mouse I got in a trade worked. Turns out, for whatever reason, that board I used didn't like that model mouse. I'm assuming it had something to do either win7, or a driver somewhere. Once I use something other than that model mouse everything was fine. I suggest the same for you.

messagetyper

Commendable
Apr 17, 2018
I had this issue when I upgraded to my old PC. First PC with USB 3 on it. It was a brand new mouse. I tried everything including wiring a USB with constant 5V power. Nothing work. I finally tracked the issue down to the mouse I was using. Even a second brand new identical model mouse had the issue. Only a used mouse I got in a trade worked. Turns out, for whatever reason, that board I used didn't like that model mouse. I'm assuming it had something to do either win7, or a driver somewhere. Once I use something other than that model mouse everything was fine. I suggest the same for you.
I'm thinking that it definitely is time to replace the mouse, but it's weird because for months my pc is fine with the mouse. I don't know if it's common to have mouse randomly dying or not, but I think this is all because of how I use the mouse.

4745454b

Titan
It might not be dying. When I had my issue if I plugged the mouse into my laptop it worked fine. But on my desktop it was dropping out all the time. Was completely unusable. Took me forever to track down the issue. As I mentioned, I even bought a brand new identical mouse and it had the same issue. It was an issue with a driver or something in that mouse that didn't like my USB 3.0 board.

messagetyper

Commendable
Apr 17, 2018
It might not be dying. When I had my issue if I plugged the mouse into my laptop it worked fine. But on my desktop it was dropping out all the time. Was completely unusable. Took me forever to track down the issue. As I mentioned, I even bought a brand new identical mouse and it had the same issue. It was an issue with a driver or something in that mouse that didn't like my USB 3.0 board.
What's weird is that it always had been fine, up until recently. Always was on the same USB port.

messagetyper

Commendable
Apr 17, 2018
Also, I have used another mouse and it works fine. Connected to a front USB port which I've also tried with my Logitech G300s (the faulty mouse in question) and it still randomly shuts off.

4745454b

Titan
The only thing I find odd, other than you haven't gone out and bought a new mouse, is you said you don't get the USB unplug sound. I'm not sure what would trigger a USB unplug sound so perhaps it's possible to have something not working but not trigger. I've said all I can say, I hope the new mouse you eventually buy fixes it.

Reactions: messagetyper

messagetyper

Commendable
Apr 17, 2018
The only thing I find odd, other than you haven't gone out and bought a new mouse, is you said you don't get the USB unplug sound. I'm not sure what would trigger a USB unplug sound so perhaps it's possible to have something not working but not trigger. I've said all I can say, I hope the new mouse you eventually buy fixes it.
After a few more hours using the mouse, it does play the USB disconnect sound sometimes, but the mouse would be the only thing affected.

So yeah, most likely a bad mouse.

messagetyper

Commendable
Apr 17, 2018
Alright, so after a few more hours, I've had my keyboard AND my USB shut off along with the mouse, but it only happened when I was quickly moving my mouse around. I also observed that the sensor on the bottom of the mouse wasn't even turning off, but the mouse's lights were the ones turning off.

Moving my other mouse around, however, and everything seems to be fine. It seems that moving around the faulty mouse was the only time I got my other USB devices to shut off.

Is this still the mouse's fault? Or the mobo? Mobo still seems unlikely though because, as I've said, using the other mouse doesn't lead me to my other USB devices shutting off (nor does that mouse even turn off).

Last edited:

messagetyper

Commendable
Apr 17, 2018
I've posted about my mouse being buggy here before, and it seems there's more to it.
I had just been moving my mouse, until all of the USB ports seemed to have turned themselves off for a few seconds. And this happened because I moved the mouse by just a bit. Have been using another mouse and it's not problematic at all though, so I'm guessing the other mouse I have is really faulty right? Or could this be a problem with the power or something?

4745454b

Titan
My word is this thread still going? How many times are you going to say it's a bad mouse, only to come back and post more stuff.

Have been using another mouse and it's not problematic at all

I'm not sure of any other way to say it for the millionth time. ITS A BAD MOUSE. You already tested with a new mouse and the problem went away. Congrats on finding the problem. Keep using the new mouse, toss the old mouse in the garbage.