[SOLVED] Move files of an old HDD to a USB drive

Sep 10, 2019
Hello everyone, I have an old Western Digital WD800 80GB HDD. I have very important files on it and I need to move them to a safe place. The computer the HDD was in is dead and doesn't work, so I'm thinking about taking it to a computer shop, where the technician will do the job. I just want to know if it is possible. The last time I used the computer was about 3-4 years ago and I guess all files where there. The HDD right now looks in good shape. I just want to know if I plug it into the technician's computer, will I be able to extract all my files to a USB drive?

Reactions: NightHawkRMX
Solution
You could also simply connect it internally on your current desktop if you have one and not even need an external power kit.
You need a pretty old PC to still have IDE ports.

I got an adaptor like the one you linked once and it does work but the PSU blew up pretty fast...
It would be better to get one without the psu and get a twin usb to molex adaptor,everybody has external usb connectors.
Also if you do this make sure the electronics of the hdd do not touch anything while powered on.
https://www.amazon.com/Power-Cable-Female-Connector-Supply/dp/B0120G2X92

That adapter set was only meant to be representative. I didn't necessarily expect them to buy that particular one, however, it does have adapters for basically ANY kind of storage device from IDE to SATA. I have one myself, and have used it on a number of drives when I didn't have room or time for an installation, and I never had any issues with it's power brick at all.

Honestly, I'd be a LOT more skeptical of the cable you linked to than I would any of those multi-adapter kits that come with power bricks that must meet specific criteria. Those cables, are pretty much non-regulated.