Question Moved components from mid tower to big tower. Now the pc doesnt power USBs and monitors

Dec 26, 2021
I got a new pc case and a SSD drive for christmas, after getting all the components into the new case + the SSD I tried to turn it on. All fans and lights (2 fan lights dont turn on out of 5 for some reason, might be my poor cable knowledge of fans since i had to get these from the mid case and I might have not plugged in something) turn on but the monitors dont get any picture and USBs dont work i reckon since they dont light up either. Only things plugged in are: the power cord, USB for keyboard and 2 display ports for 2 monitors.

Things i tried:
  • Pulling out CMOS for like 30 secs while pushing the power button then putting it back.
  • Reseating RAM to different slots (i have 2 sticks)
  • Booting on only 1 RAM
  • Pushing hard on the cables, GPU, RAMs so I know they are properly socketed
  • Making sure i plugged in the power led and such cables on the front panel in the right spots

My specs are:
  • GPU: RTX 3070 SUPRIM X 8GB
  • PSU: Corsair VS650
  • CPU: Ryzen 7 2700
  • MOBO: As Rock Steel Legend B450
  • RAM: 2x HyperX 8GB 3200MHz
  • HDD: WB Blue 1TB
  • SSD (old but still plugged in): Patriot burst 120GB
  • New SSD: Samsung 980 1TB
I will greatly appreciate any help and im sorry for the formatting, im on the phone.

Dec 26, 2021
I got a new pc case and a SSD drive for christmas, after getting all the components into the new case + the SSD I tried to turn it on. All fans and lights (2 fan lights dont turn on out of 5 for some reason, might be my poor cable knowledge of fans since i had to get these from the mid case and I might have not plugged in something) turn on but the monitors dont get any picture and USBs dont work i reckon since they dont light up either. Only things plugged in are: the power cord, USB for keyboard and 2 display ports for 2 monitors.

Things i tried:
Pulling out CMOS for like 30 secs while pushing the power button then putting it back.
Reseating RAM to different slots (i have 2 sticks)
Booting on only 1 RAM
Pushing hard on the cables, GPU, RAMs so I know they are properly socketed
Making sure i plugged in the power led and such cables on the front panel in the right spots

My specs are:
GPU: RTX 3070 SUPRIM X 8GB
PSU: Corsair VS650
CPU: Ryzen 7 2700
MOBO: As Rock Steel Legend B450
RAM: 2x HyperX 8GB 3200MHz
HDD: WB Blue 1TB
SSD (old but still plugged in): Patriot burst 120GB
New SSD: Samsung 980 1TB

I will greatly appreciate any help and im sorry for the formatting, im on the phone.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Double check that you don't have an extra mounting point under the motherboard causing a short. Also, inspect you back-panel to make sure you don't have any of the little grounding "fingers" from the I/O panel (a.k.a. ATX plate) protruding into any ports.

Dec 26, 2021
Double check that you don't have an extra mounting point under the motherboard causing a short. Also, inspect you back-panel to make sure you don't have any of the little grounding "fingers" from the I/O panel (a.k.a. ATX plate) protruding into any ports.
1 I just checked and no there arent any extra, and i use all standoffs that are installed
2 didnt have IO pannel installed but now i just might install it since i unscrewed the mobo 😄

Dec 26, 2021
Tried that but unfortunately it didnt work
Also i'd like to add more things that I tried and didnt work:
Switching CMOS battery
Plugging video card into a different pcie spot
Checking front pannel wires like reset sw and such that they are in the right place

Dec 26, 2021
Try with the alternate GPU. Trying to isolate the issue. While you are at it, disconnect all of your fans/fan controller (if you have one), expect the CPU cooler to see if that helps.
Okay so all fans disconnected except cpu fan and graphics card switched but sadly it still doesnt work, also i have a speaker which doesnt beep even if I turn it on without graphics card

Dec 26, 2021
Good luck. Let us know the outcome.
So yesterday I wanted to try and go with the other motherboard but i remembered that the CPU is Intel so it would be a different MOBO and Cpu and I was already too done and tired to go and unplug and unscrew everything so I decided to just give to a repair shop today and figure it out for me. Turns out its a faulty PSU. Contributing factor could be that its 4-5 year old but idk. Will be replacing for a better one (and one that actually works) today or tomorrow. Thanks for all the help.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
So yesterday I wanted to try and go with the other motherboard but i remembered that the CPU is Intel so it would be a different MOBO and Cpu and I was already too done and tired to go and unplug and unscrew everything so I decided to just give to a repair shop today and figure it out for me. Turns out its a faulty PSU. Contributing factor could be that its 4-5 year old but idk. Will be replacing for a better one (and one that actually works) today or tomorrow. Thanks for all the help.
Glad you sorted out. That is why I asked about another PSU earlier. Game on!

TRENDING THREADS