[SOLVED] Moved SSD to new computer but will not boot

twintone

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013
Looking for a bit of help with a SSD I have physically moved from a Lenovo ThinkServer over to a Lenovo Legion T530 PC. It will not boot. Below is an outline of the issue.

The drive boots fine in the ThinkServer
The BIOS in the Legion T530 DOES see the SSD I have moved over
I have tried to boot the system in Legacy only mode, UEFI only mode and auto detect mode. In all cases I get an Error 1962 unable to find operating system.
I have another brand new SSD so I cloned the old drive to the new and tried to boot off that.. BIOS sees that drive, but still get Error 1962 unable to find operating system.
I installed a fresh copy of Windows 10 Pro on the new SSD and that boots fine, so I would think that should eliminate a hardware issue.

At this point I am not sure what to try next. Is there somehow an issue with the MBR where the ThinkServer will boot it, but the Legion T530 won't? If so, is there a way to fix the MBR but still keep all the data on the drive?

Any help would be apprisiated.

Solution
Moving a drive and OS between systems usually fails to boot up.

The only recourse is to back up your personal data in the old system, and a clean install in the new system.

USAFRet

Titan
When I moved a SSD from one computer to another my Samsung SSD came with software that was supposed to do that, but I couldn't get it to work. However I was able to do it with Acronis
Sometimes it works, sometime it fails. No matter what you use.
Other applications have a similar function. Macrium and ReDeploy. Or direct from Microsoft and Sysprep.
But for a one off system, it is almost always easier to just do a full reinstall.