Question Moving on from a P8H67M-LE and i7-2600k build

Oct 11, 2024
12 Years ago a built my first (and only) PC. It has been fantastic, upgraded with a larger SSD and a graphics card GTX650 Ti along the way.
Base is ASUS P8H67M-LE with Intel I7-2600k. It's still blazing fast but with OS support coming to an end I am looking to rebuild, changing processor means changing Mobo and probabably some other stuff too. I'll keep the case though.

I feel I was "lucky" with such a great processor that has been well regarded retrospectively. (and lasted so long, I'm not the only one though)

Now it's coming to the end of it's life. My needs are probably similar, although no time for gaming any more. I just have been out of touch with the latest hardware though.

Any new i7 with integrated graphics looks like it will outstrip my current need for graphics card entirely. What is the processor and Mobo combination that is going to last me the next decade!

If all of your parts are at least 10 years old, you'd probably keep only the drives.

Power supply likely should be replaced at that age even if it's performing OK now.

Case? Possibly keep that.

If you don't game, it's quite possible you don't need a discrete GPU.

There's a CPU uproar going on in the last few months. Intel under heavy scrutiny on the 13000 and 14000 series desktop CPUs. Issues said to be fixed via new BIOS release. Some are skeptical of the fix.

Intel will release 3 new "Core Ultra" series CPUs before the end of the month, including a replacement for the i7-14700K and a replacement for the i5-14600K. They are said to be free of the issues. Some are skeptical of that.

Motherboards to use with Core Ultras are coming out too. You can find spec sheets for them at the manufacturer sites.

Might wait for reviews on the new stuff.

Not sure how long you can wait.

If you want "Core Ultra" Intel, you need to decide if you need a "Z" series motherboard.

There will be over a dozen Z choices available for sale within a couple of weeks. Apparently no "B" series for now, probably until early next year.

Likewise, apparently only 2 or 3 micro ATX Core Ultra boards this month. Presumably more next year.

Looks like the retail prices on the new boards begin around 220.