Moving "secomdary" hard drive

Got a new computer, and would like to move my "secondary" HDD from the
old one to the new. It's just storing data files, and that's what I
plan to continue using it for. It's currently partitioned into 3
partitions.

Any problems with this? Should I move the data from it, or even
reformat it first? Both machines are WinXP, old HDD is FAT32 (runs at
5200).

TIA

No Problems - just move it but make sure the jumper is set correctly.

"Elmo Zoomwaldt" <scmh2640@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Got a new computer, and would like to move my "secondary" HDD from the old
> one to the new. It's just storing data files, and that's what I plan to
> continue using it for. It's currently partitioned into 3 partitions.
>
> Any problems with this? Should I move the data from it, or even reformat
> it first? Both machines are WinXP, old HDD is FAT32 (runs at 5200).
>
> TIA

Thanks very much for the quick reply, Ron. Will there be any issue with the
drive letters (they're already in use on the new PC for "removable disks"),
or will they get renamed automagically?

EZ

"RonK" <i'mhere@home.now> wrote in message
> No Problems - just move it but make sure the jumper is set correctly.

They will be renamed. It is determined by the cable connection of each
drive.

> Thanks very much for the quick reply, Ron. Will there be any issue with
> the drive letters (they're already in use on the new PC for "removable
> disks"), or will they get renamed automagically?
>
> EZ
>
> "RonK" <i'mhere@home.now> wrote in message
>> No Problems - just move it but make sure the jumper is set correctly.

If you are using your real email address for newsgroups, you should enter a
phony one so you don't end up getting a lot of spam emails.

"Elmo Zoomwaldt" <scmh2640@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Thanks very much for the quick reply, Ron. Will there be any issue with
> the drive letters (they're already in use on the new PC for "removable
> disks"), or will they get renamed automagically?
>
> EZ
>
> "RonK" <i'mhere@home.now> wrote in message
>> No Problems - just move it but make sure the jumper is set correctly.

Thanks... it's a legit address, but I use it specifically for "junque" and
when people INSIST on an email address unnecessarily.

> If you are using your real email address for newsgroups, you should enter
> a phony one so you don't end up getting a lot of spam emails.

"Elmo Zoomwaldt" <scmh2640@hotmail.com> wrote...
> Got a new computer, and would like to move my "secondary" HDD from the old one
> to the new. It's just storing data files, and that's what I plan to continue
> using it for. It's currently partitioned into 3 partitions.
>
> Any problems with this? Should I move the data from it, or even reformat it
> first? Both machines are WinXP, old HDD is FAT32 (runs at 5200).

First install the OS on your new machine, BEFORE installing the second HD.
Otherwise, there may be some confusion over which is the "active partition" if
one is so designated on the old drive.

Then, if you are installing the second HD as a Slave drive on the same IDE
channel as the primary (boot) HD, reset the Master/Slave jumper.

Use the XP Disk Manager to allocate drive letters to the second HD. At this
point it should work as you want it.

Depending on what further use you will make of the drive, you may want to
temporarily copy all the files in all the partitions to the primary HD, then
repartition and reformat the second drive using NTFS. That part is up to you,
but I would recommend it.