Mozilla Making Firefox 4 to be ''Super-Duper Fast''

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Why do they feel the need to restrict the interface? As it is now you can have a home button or not; its your choice. Customization is the main reason I use Firefox, and I'll be rather annoyed if removing options is going to be the new trend.

As for doing a tab search in the address bar, that seems rather unnecessary to me. I don't even use the bookmark search. It's quicker to just click on the tab I want or make use of the bookmark toolbar.

I do like the idea of not having to restart after updating.

Morgan3rd

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
I'd like it if they could integrate the tabs into the top of the screen like Chrome/Opera.

Using chrome now, but I'm not married to her.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]sliem[/nom]STOP concentrating on SPEED. It'll go as fast as user internet allows, that's it. Instead, concentrate on BUGS and SECURITY[/citation]Stole my words! I was gonna say, "Your browsing experience is only as fast as the connection will allow, minus a few things that could affect it"...

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
[citation][nom]sliem[/nom]STOP concentrating on SPEED. It'll go as fast as user internet allows, that's it. Instead, concentrate on BUGS and SECURITY[/citation]

I'm sure they'll do that, but for now, whenever an article on Chrome comes out, Google and their fans all go "CHROME IS FASTER THAN A POTATO CANNON!" so, obviously, to try and attract those users, Mozilla is going to talk about speed. Why is this surprising? Firefox has always also been about security.

G

No mention of hardware acceleration? No stop button? I use the stop button on a regular basis. I don't like the new interface either. I LOVE my firefox 3.6 just as it is (except for hardware acceleration.) I have to agree with sliem on this, mozilla is better off looking for bug fixes and security improvements.

They screw this up and I'm going back to Opera or Chrome.

I like the dedicated tab, as long as you have some options you can set it to. Having it be determined by your most frequently visited sites would be alright sometimes, but I'd like to be able to customize it myself as well.

The permanent "home" tab is a horrible idea. I think I'm like a lot of users and have a bunch of tabs open at once, so having one that I can't close will be annoying.

Speed is definitely an issue, especially if you use an older computer. I had to switch over to Chrome on my old laptop simply because I got tired of waiting a good minute for Firefox to load.

G

Browser speeds do actually vary when it comes to rendering a page.

adipose

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
Lame, I don't use a home page. Now I have to make gmail my home page or something, or an extra tab will appear? I just save my tabs every time so I never open a "clean" browser anymore. The idea of home is lost on me, now. Please don't require me to go backwards!

I'm sure those who use home will be annoyed too. If google is your homepage you may not want to switch to your "home" tab, but rather go to google in your current tab. And what happens once you do search? Does it change your "home" tab so it's no longer on "home"? Then how do you get home? Confusing...

Instead, leave it how it is, and put the home button somewhere on the tab interface if you must. And please allow us to remove it. Removing one small button and adding one large tab does not save space...

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Wow, getting rid of the stop and home buttons saved a whopping what, 160 pixels next to the address bar? In case Mozilla missed the news, screens are getting wider, not narrower. There's no reason to cut out width.

I never moved to Firefox because I never needed to replace Opera, so I can't really comment as to any other changes.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
How about fixing the super duper amount of memory Firefox eats? I'd come back to Firefox if I didn't have to restart every three hours because my browser is using 1GB of system memory. Honestly though at this point I don't really care about speed. Once the page loads for the first time it's cached and it's blazingly fast on 'any' browser.

drutort

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
i want a browser to run my 50+ tabs :p i dont use bookmarks LOL it makes it much easier and I dont forget if im working on multiple things at the same time... my bookmarks? oh i need a search to even go through them, i think i probably will have to delete 50% of them, most likely half of them are dead now lol

I want better speed as far as parallel browsing, or loading of tabs and faster multi server connections if possible, all without eating up the rest of my ram :p

i forgot, how about 64bit, multi threading and 3d accel? would be nice to use some of that video ram too (more so then now) then my system ram if possible :p

G

:( No stop button? Looks ike I have to move off firefox. I am constantly stopping pages. In my country internet isn't fast, bandwidth is costly. You pay per mb or gb. Some pages have far to much content that pushing the stop button is the only way to stop it from costing money.

I bet its the same in some net cafes around the world also.

Looks like I am going to move to opera.

cib24

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
I just hope they fix the "not responding" issue in the current Firefox. It's so damn annoying that if I want to open a new tab while a page is loading on another one the browser freezes for 5 seconds or so. It does this constantly and has led me to switch back to IE 8 sometimes.

Chrome needs to fix their memory leak issue since the browser seems to consume about half of my memory and I can't get the memory back until I open the task manager and manually kill the Chrome.exe process.

schmich

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
I'm actually using the stop button fairly often. On the other hand I'm not using the Home one :/ At least I hope Firefox places all its buttons/options in a more logical way than Chrome.

dreamer77dd

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
hardware acceleration and multi threading would be nice. they seam to bring in simple into the look hopefully it is. Yes it looks like chrome a little but whatever works.

Status
Not open for further replies.