MS Antispyware ON a Dell?

have a couple important qusetions on MS Antispyware.

1. Does it really run in the background. I heard that is does.

2.Does it catch Cool Web?
>>e) CoolWebSearch, VX2 versions not detected (for cws run antispy in safe
mode twice, or try CWShredder<<
I read that IT DOES NOT.<<

*********3. What about on a DELL machine, reed you need to run a disk with
the scan? *********
>>jj) Dell machines ask for setup disk on
scan<<

http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htmscan<<

Any help appreciated. I have been online for years & have had very little
trouble. The last month this spyware has been terrible. I have read many
reviews & am narrowing down to Sp Doctor, Spy Sweeper or this product MS
Antispyware.

Louie

"Louie" <Louie@Louie'sNoSpamPlace.net/.net> wrote:

> have a couple important qusetions on MS Antispyware.

>1. Does it really run in the background. I heard that is does.

Yes.

>2.Does it catch Cool Web?
>>>e) CoolWebSearch, VX2 versions not detected (for cws run antispy in safe
>mode twice, or try CWShredder<<
>I read that IT DOES NOT.<<

I dunno. But I run CWShredder every so often. [more below]

>*********3. What about on a DELL machine, reed you need to run a disk with
>the scan? *********
> >>jj) Dell machines ask for setup disk on
>scan<<

It installed quite nicely on my L733r and my D4400, both running
XP Pro SP2, without any hassles, and without asking for any
disks. Download was from the Microsoft web site.

I still run the AdAware and Spybot S&D freebies. Each has caught
thing the other didn't, albeit often one or more traces of
something the other had caught the overall bulk of. Since
installing the MS Antispyware [nee Giant Antispyware], it has
caught things real time as they tried to download from some
website. But both AdAware and Spybot have caught something that
the MS Antispyware did not clean up completely - although again,
it did get rid of the bulk of the culprit.

The MS implementation of Giant as a real time monitor is, IMO,
good. I had never been happy with any previous anti-ad/spyware
programs online aspect.

But I still run AA and SS&D weekly, and CWShredder monthly when I
don't have anything suspicious going on, and will do all four
anytime I do get suspicious that something might have snuck in
[e.g., unexplained firewall notices that some stranger is trying
to call home].
--
OJ III

Ogden Johnson III <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> wrote:

>"Louie" <Louie@Louie'sNoSpamPlace.net/.net> wrote:

>> have a couple important qusetions on MS Antispyware.
>>
>>1. Does it really run in the background. I heard that is does.

>Yes.

Sorry for following up my own post, but a correction is needed.
The answer should have been:

Yes, you can tell it to run in the background doing real time
monitoring; or you can turn that off, and only run it when you
want to run a scan; or you can schedule it to run full scans
regularly, whether or not you have it doing real time monitoring.
--
OJ III

Ogden, thnk you for your help.

Have you tried Spy Doctor or Spysweeper?

I got an answer on the microsoft forum, that a person did have to run some
Dell disk when running a scan.
I have a 4600 XP home, sp1

Thankx again,
Louie
"Ogden Johnson III" <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "Louie" <Louie@Louie'sNoSpamPlace.net/.net> wrote:
>
> > have a couple important qusetions on MS Antispyware.
>
> >1. Does it really run in the background. I heard that is does.
>
> Yes.
>
> >2.Does it catch Cool Web?
> >mode twice, or try CWShredder<<
> >I read that IT DOES NOT.<<
>
> I dunno. But I run CWShredder every so often. [more below]
>
> >*********3. What about on a DELL machine, reed you need to run a disk
with
> >the scan? *********
on
> >scan<<
>
> It installed quite nicely on my L733r and my D4400, both running
> XP Pro SP2, without any hassles, and without asking for any
> disks. Download was from the Microsoft web site.
>
> I still run the AdAware and Spybot S&D freebies. Each has caught
> thing the other didn't, albeit often one or more traces of
> something the other had caught the overall bulk of. Since
> installing the MS Antispyware [nee Giant Antispyware], it has
> caught things real time as they tried to download from some
> website. But both AdAware and Spybot have caught something that
> the MS Antispyware did not clean up completely - although again,
> it did get rid of the bulk of the culprit.
>
> The MS implementation of Giant as a real time monitor is, IMO,
> good. I had never been happy with any previous anti-ad/spyware
> programs online aspect.
>
> But I still run AA and SS&D weekly, and CWShredder monthly when I
> don't have anything suspicious going on, and will do all four
> anytime I do get suspicious that something might have snuck in
> [e.g., unexplained firewall notices that some stranger is trying
> to call home].
> --
> OJ III
> [Email to Yahoo address may be burned before reading.
> Lower and crunch the sig and you'll net me at comcast.]

ahall

Ogden> Ogden Johnson III <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> "Louie" <Louie@Louie'sNoSpamPlace.net/.net> wrote:

>>> have a couple important qusetions on MS Antispyware.
>>>
>>> 1. Does it really run in the background. I heard that is does.

>> Yes.

Ogden> Sorry for following up my own post, but a correction is needed.
Ogden> The answer should have been:

Ogden> Yes, you can tell it to run in the background doing real time
Ogden> monitoring; or you can turn that off, and only run it when you
Ogden> want to run a scan; or you can schedule it to run full scans
Ogden> regularly, whether or not you have it doing real time monitoring.

Where is it? I looked for it in the security center
and saw no mention of it. I did download it, but then
never saw it again.

--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)

Louie wrote:
> Ogden, thnk you for your help.
>
> Have you tried Spy Doctor or Spysweeper?
>
> I got an answer on the microsoft forum, that a person did have to run some
> Dell disk when running a scan.
> I have a 4600 XP home, sp1
>
> Thankx again,
> Louie
> "Ogden Johnson III" <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>"Louie" <Louie@Louie'sNoSpamPlace.net/.net> wrote:
>>

>>>have a couple important qusetions on MS Antispyware.
>>
>>>1. Does it really run in the background. I heard that is does.
>>
>>Yes.
>>

>>>2.Does it catch Cool Web?

> safe
>
>>>mode twice, or try CWShredder<<
>>>I read that IT DOES NOT.<<
>>
>>I dunno. But I run CWShredder every so often. [more below]
>>

>>>*********3. What about on a DELL machine, reed you need to run a disk
>
> with
>
>>>the scan? *********
>
> on
>
>>>scan<<
>>
>>It installed quite nicely on my L733r and my D4400, both running
>>XP Pro SP2, without any hassles, and without asking for any
>>disks. Download was from the Microsoft web site.
>>
>>I still run the AdAware and Spybot S&D freebies. Each has caught
>>thing the other didn't, albeit often one or more traces of
>>something the other had caught the overall bulk of. Since
>>installing the MS Antispyware [nee Giant Antispyware], it has
>>caught things real time as they tried to download from some
>>website. But both AdAware and Spybot have caught something that
>>the MS Antispyware did not clean up completely - although again,
>>it did get rid of the bulk of the culprit.
>>
>>The MS implementation of Giant as a real time monitor is, IMO,
>>good. I had never been happy with any previous anti-ad/spyware
>>programs online aspect.
>>
>>But I still run AA and SS&D weekly, and CWShredder monthly when I
>>don't have anything suspicious going on, and will do all four
>>anytime I do get suspicious that something might have snuck in
>>[e.g., unexplained firewall notices that some stranger is trying
>>to call home].
>>--
>>OJ III
>>[Email to Yahoo address may be burned before reading.
>>Lower and crunch the sig and you'll net me at comcast.]

I run it on a Dell Dimension XPS and have no problems whatsoever, and I
do not need to keep a disk in the drive.

--
Danny Kile
Certified FCC, ISCET, A+ , Network+

Please reply to the Newsgroup ONLY
Your cooperation is appreciated.

"Louie" <Louie@Louie'sNoSpamPlace.net/.net> wrote:

>Ogden, thnk you for your help.
>
>Have you tried Spy Doctor or Spysweeper?

Yes, and saw they weren't doing anything I wanted done that the
freeware AA and SS&D weren't already doing for me. With the
MS/Giant thing, I wouldn't even consider looking at them again.

>I got an answer on the microsoft forum, that a person did have to run some
>Dell disk when running a scan.

If so, he f[oul]ed something up with the installation or
somewhere else along the line. As soon as I saw this in your
post, before even starting this reply, I started a scan. No disk
required. Still. Just as none has been required any of the
times I've run it before.

And if you don't believe me, download it and install it, and try
it out for yourself. You can get to it, last time I checked, via
the IE6 Tools | Windows update, and use the "Windows Family" link
you'll find on the page. It installs with its own, separate,
"Add/Uninstall Program" entry, so you can always take it off if
you don't like it.

>I have a 4600 XP home, sp1

Aha! Now, I've got it! You're paranoid enough that you'll
believe anything bad said about the eeevvvvvullllll MS; so much
so that you've stayed away from SP 2 also, since it is
immediately going to render your machine to junk.

Never mind, Louie. Sorry I wasted your time with my suggestions.
--
OJ III

"Louie" <Louie@Louie'sNoSpamPlace.net/.net> wrote:
>1. Does it really run in the background. I heard that is does.

You have the option of enabling and disabling the background tasks.

>2.Does it catch Cool Web?

Dunno, though it's constantly getting upgrades, so I'd imagine they
will eventually.

>>>jj) Dell machines ask for setup disk on
>scan<<

_IF_ you configure it to scan (say) your CD-ROM drive on every scan,
it'll probably ask you to put a disk in, but that's a pretty strange
thing to do, and I wonder if "jj"(?) misconfigured it by accident.

I've been really happy with MSAS. It doesn't do a perfect job, but
it's a lot better than SpyBot, which was my previous best choice.

Thnakx for all your help, Appreciate it.

Louie
<William P.N. Smith> wrote in message
> "Louie" <Louie@Louie'sNoSpamPlace.net/.net> wrote:
> >1. Does it really run in the background. I heard that is does.
>
> You have the option of enabling and disabling the background tasks.
>
> >2.Does it catch Cool Web?
>
> Dunno, though it's constantly getting upgrades, so I'd imagine they
> will eventually.

> >scan<<
>
> _IF_ you configure it to scan (say) your CD-ROM drive on every scan,
> it'll probably ask you to put a disk in, but that's a pretty strange
> thing to do, and I wonder if "jj"(?) misconfigured it by accident.
>
> I've been really happy with MSAS. It doesn't do a perfect job, but
> it's a lot better than SpyBot, which was my previous best choice.

Curious, How is it better that SpyBot, I've tried both MS and Spybot, I
can't really see any improvement.

Mike

"Michael P. Bassler" <texbaz@airmail.net> wrote:
>Curious, How is it better that SpyBot, I've tried both MS and Spybot, I
>can't really see any improvement.

Look and feel, integration with the OS, automatic updates, live
monitoring, nightly scheduled scans. Can't say for sure if it catches
more or less than SpyBot, but it's my current favorite.

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 13:49:33 -0600, Michael P. Bassler wrote:

> Curious, How is it better that SpyBot, I've tried both MS and Spybot, I
> can't really see any improvement.

if you don't mind my $0.02, I use to run only SpyBot Search and Destroy
from the www.safer-networking.org site, not the pay version from some look
alike site. I found that it was very good, but it lacked the ability to
remove some of the baddies. I now run AdAwareSE as my first choice then
follow with SBS&D, and then hand edit the registry.

I will not install MS Anti-spyware until it's been RTM for at least 6
months.

--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

Leythos <void@nowhere.lan> wrote:
>I will not install MS Anti-spyware until it's been RTM for at least 6
>months.

RTM? It was Giant for quite a while before it was M$...