MSFT Edits Laptop Hunter Ad at Apple's Request

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

son_of_the_kiss

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
[citation][nom]brendano257[/nom]I love how just about everyone here is a PC fanboi, so now it's illegal to be a fanboi, BUT ONLY if your on the loosing side. It's bullshit people. Everytime someone on the Mac side comes up with something valid, everyone just says "oh that? That's not true" and moves on. Dman3k, it's not that the hardware is different, it's the performance Apple can squeeze out of it. They have developed Leopard Snow as small and optimized as it comes. Something that is coming in Win7, but not quite as much as with Leopard. NOT TO MENTION: Apple claims that these are REAL peopl not actors in these adds, but they can go and "do a remake"?!So that it's more accurate. Just to shoot back, so some of what is in the Laptop hunter adds are true, a lot of it is bullshit that's completely misconceptions or Microsoft sucking the life out of stupid consumers. Microsoft has it easy, the general population they sell to is completely computer illiterate. Now granted us enthusiasts are not, but the general population IS. So the Laptop hunter adds are mostly cheap shots at Apple, aimed at uninformed buyers that MAKES Windows look like the perfect choice.[/citation]

thank you for making my life feel a little less crappy today.

son_of_the_kiss

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
[citation][nom]mrkenan[/nom]While they may be useless for you, they are perfect for me. I am a photographer/graphic designer/video editor and I love how CS3 runs in OSX. I also use Final Cut Pro which of course only runs in OSX. On the other hand I like to dabble in the gaming world so dual booting windows is great and thats where I'd get some use out of a GTX 285. Are the specs for gaming as good as they could be if I built my own system? No. But I can't justify having two systems right now so this is how its gonna be. I get two systems in one.[/citation]

you've got a point there. considering rate at which the complaints were being posted i wouldn't put it past any server admin to kill some of it, servers do have limits

son_of_the_kiss

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
[citation][nom]ahslan[/nom]How can you criticize Microsoft's ads and not Apple's?!?!?.......all I have to say is Win7>Leopard any day son....[/citation]

because apple's ads are meant to be humorous and talks mainly about software rather than ignoring the point of having the other one entirely

son_of_the_kiss

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
[citation][nom]ahslan[/nom]How can you criticize Microsoft's ads and not Apple's?!?!?.......all I have to say is Win7>Leopard any day son....[/citation]

i don't believe you've used both systems long term, because that seems to be a rather simple statement

mc84ss

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2007
Computer science major here.

Also WORD is slang, in that context it means that they agree with what was said.

Next this whole article breaks down to if you like apple and want to pay extra for it then good do so. Everything now runs on basically the same hardware. It is all just software differences for the most part.

Next, for the commercials, the apple commercials are only comical to Apple fans. There are some misleading statements in their ads, but then again what commercials don't. The microsoft commercials seem to be less misleading, I think the fact that they changed one of their commercials after the request of apple shows some honesty on their part. Weather or not the shoppers are actors or not really does not matter. They are saying things that you would hear if you walked through bestbuy and listined to what people shopping were saying.
After reading this whole thread it's ridiculous to see how much people like to argue.

son_of_the_kiss

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
[citation][nom]mc84ss[/nom]Computer science major here. Also WORD is slang, in that context it means that they agree with what was said. Next this whole article breaks down to if you like apple and want to pay extra for it then good do so. Everything now runs on basically the same hardware. It is all just software differences for the most part. Next, for the commercials, the apple commercials are only comical to Apple fans. There are some misleading statements in their ads, but then again what commercials don't. The microsoft commercials seem to be less misleading, I think the fact that they changed one of their commercials after the request of apple shows some honesty on their part. Weather or not the shoppers are actors or not really does not matter. They are saying things that you would hear if you walked through bestbuy and listined to what people shopping were saying.After reading this whole thread it's ridiculous to see how much people like to argue.[/citation]

i was talking about the rules thing.... and what you said is completely true and i do this because i'm bored and i actually do find joy in dialogue, and i was actually hoping that it was going to be bland bickering, but that's how these guys wanted it

ahslan

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
[citation][nom]son_of_the_kiss[/nom]quick question. how many people here have studied computer science?[/citation]

I'm a senior computer engineering major...I agree with mc84

son_of_the_kiss

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
[citation][nom]santeana[/nom]Windows/Mac OS has nothing to do with how easy it is to infect. You make it sound like Macs are impervious to viruses which is not the case. It is possible to get viruses on a Mac contrary to what people say. Macs don't get them as often because most people use PC's. A virus can take a lot of work and you want to hit the most people at once with it that you can. So you choose a PC target, not MAC. The downfall is in the popularity, not the OS.A bomber doesn't go out into the middle of a field and set his explosive. He goes downtown to a populated area in order to get the most out of his bomb. (*disclaimer* I have not, nor am I planning on planting explosive devices anywhere. I also do not recommend or advocate the planting of such devices in fields or populated areas.)[/citation]

the fact that Unix is difficult has absolutely nothing to do with it, right?

son_of_the_kiss

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
that makes 3 people that have commented that have studied computer science plus me, which makes it rather obvious to me why this topic got so hot.

shoota

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
in the end if macs get to the popularity Apple seems to want to get to they will be their own downfall. crapware will start to be written for macs, users will freak out, etc. etc. Apple is better off with a small market share.

I used to be a mac hater now i'm just a realist. I've been using a hackintosh for a couple months now and i have to say os x is pretty darn nice after you figure it out. Sure it has it's quirks but doesn't everything. I'm just glad i didn't pay thousands for my hackintosh :)

G

I am with shoota on this one. If you can pay the premium, this is the gold time to use Apple OSX, if you can't afford it, it's a gold time to use a Hackintosh. Just by using a fully functional Hackintosh for 2 weeks (real long time windows xp and vista user) I am sold. So many things built in (i mean in the OS X) and just works a lot faster than if it were third-party. The preview for example open a pdf in less than a sec. I know Foxit reader on pc isn't bad but why can't vista do it natively. Well we all know why it's because MS's monopoly position and they don't want to get into trouble (understandable). Imagine MS offering as much those built-in functionality as OS X they will get into deep trouble from the antitrust side. So the end result is each pc manufacturers fill their pc with bloatwares that everyone knows to uninstall. On the other side, OSX users enjoy the free of virus, trojan, etc. and built in functions as much as apple feel need to keep its customers and no one care to say a thing as they only have less than 10% of the market. By the time Apple gains a much larger market to be noticed by the antitrust world, their OS will have already been established as rock solid.

My next laptop will be a Mac. I feel fortunate to have a choice and will enjoy that. I will install vista or win7 for sure as I just can't live without it for work (all those win only academic softwares) but for home I think Mac will work better for me and the family.

We all know MS is software company and Apple is hardware. But Apple's software (especially the OS) really bring the best of its hardware. I wish MS make their own pc too as give us consumer the ultimate package of personal computing.

Btw, the MS Ads never mention high end PC really. So it is not fair. High end pc such as thinkpad, or some Sony ones, some HP business ones, tends to be as much, if not more, expensive as Apple. All the PC companies know that, they are not selling you a high price tagged laptop for a reason: they for one do not think those consumer level laptop are worth that much. And btw, what choices do those shoppers on the Ads really have? Some low end HP, sony, toshiba, some Dell, Acer, that's it. Show us a thinkpad T400 side by side with a Macbook and let the consumer decide. I love my vista OS as my work relies on it but I am getting bored with those Ads.

sleepflower

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
I use a mac. A lot. In fact all day every day I am at work. I have a PC workstation at home as well as a macbook, both work considerably better than the mac pro at work. It doesn't just work, it crashes. A lot. Full on hold the power button reboot. Alongside that is the beach balling after complex things like un-minimizing a photoshop window at 1024 x 576! In after effects you are lucky if it uses more than 2 processors or when it does why are they all at 50%? It can't use much of the memory yet there is 16GB in there as none of the software is 64bit! Leopard is useless, it can't index or search network drives properly and to compound the problem, I can't search in a specific folder! The software is obviously not optimised for the hardware, why else would a major feature of snow leopard be multi processor support in grand central? I have freezes and crashes simply using finder, it hurts. Tiger is a better version of OSX and on simple hardware is great (macbook I am on now) but leapard and mac pros. They are really useless.

Greg_77

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
[citation][nom]son_of_the_kiss[/nom]i guess the hotheads have given up.[/citation]
No, they realize you are an idiot and had better things to do with their time, such as USE their PCs for play or productive task, something you aren't doing with your overpriced, underpowered, compatible Mac. Why try to convince people who are advanced computer users that Macs are the superior solution? Many people here couldn't get by on a Mac because they have certain requirements for power and performance that Macs can't provide. I know your a troll and are here primarily to annoy people and get attention. Whether you believe what you say or not matters little to me. You could be protecting your expensive toy because you are insecure. Learn to use your time more wisely instead of harassing a group of people.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Comments on the posts so far...

If you are going to call for citations and evidence when others refute your claims, then please have the courtesy to include citations for all the claims you make. I think that is fair.

If you make broad generalized statements and someone publishes a piece of evidence that refutes the statement, revise your statement to be more exacting than dismissing the evidence.

These are two things I wish I could see happen more often in the comments - but I can understand that sometimes you come across evidence and can't remember where it came from, but if you can't find it again to cite then you probably shouldn't use it as point in a debate.

Another observation - beware of false authority. True, a student of Computer Science might have better credibility, but it is not a guarantee. There may be IT professionals, home enthusiasts, or Information Systems (typically a business school degree) also here. Plus, at my University, I can tell you that CS is focused on theoretical computing and complexity calculations - its the Electrical and Computer Engineers who do all the hardware stuff. (We don't have a Software Engineering degree here.)

------------------------
Comments on the article and the actor/real-person debate

When you shoot a commercial, you take tons and tons of footage - especially when your camera follows around a group of people shopping. Most of it will end up on the cutting room floor, so you have plenty to draw on if you need to re-edit. You do this because getting someone for all that footage at $1000 is cheap, and it makes for great propaganda. By manipulating the message by careful editing, you can make the "real people" say whatever you want. A good search on Youtube should reveal some creative edits of existing media.

My disappointment is that Microsoft chose to re-edit rather than subtitle the commercial with "statements valid as of ".

fans 6

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
yah, i hate that little idiot mac guy in there commericals, he always says lies lies lies........... my pc can do 50 times more than a crappymaccy can do

nachowarrior

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
I want to slap someone when the kid says "decent gaming computer" and a)they're shopping local stores and b)they're looking at laptops.

In order to get a decent gaming laptop you pretty much need to go online. Of course I won't shop at BB because i'm not a moron and I don't want to go to hell, so who knows what they carry these days. I DO know they still charge 1.5-3x the price that video cards are actually worth, stop by a local store and check it out, if they even have a decent card.

Point being, it's ADVERTISED ON TV that people have no idea what they're shopping for.

Status
Not open for further replies.