[SOLVED] MSI 3090 not getting detected by Motherboard

Charan Karthikeyan

Honorable
Mar 11, 2015
He Guys, this is my first build. I got a MSI 3090 recently and tried plugging it into my motherboard and the EZDebug shows the VGA light.
I have an AMD 5800X and could find out what the problem was since I can t boot up without a GPU and hence bought a GT710 and seems to work fine.

The GPU lights up but does not get detected by the motherboard and the VGA light comes on.
I have tried updating the BIOS, Shorting the BIOS,running it one ram stick. I am currently on my wits end to find what the issue is.
Is the GPU Dead on arrival ?

Here is my Build:
1.) Processor - AMD 5800X
2.) MotherBoard - MPG x570 Gaming Carbon Pro WiFi
3.)Ram - 2x16 GB Corsair Vengence
4.)Corsair RM 850
5.) MSI GTX 3090
Thank for the help in advance

Solution
No. That cable should be just fine. Assuming the cable is actually plugged into the gpu, sorry but you'd be surprised how many miss that part.

Have you tried booting the pc with the cable attached to gpu, but not the monitor, then plugging in the monitor before post hits the vga? Hdmi and dp both require a handshake and if that doesn't happen, no signal and vga error.

That board also has a second pcie x16 slot, which is run through the motherboard chipset I believe, not direct cpu lanes like the primary slot. If you put it in the second slot, it might force recognition of the gpu, and once that happens and the gpu is actually loaded into bios, it should then post if you move the gpu back.
Is the GPU Dead on arrival?
if everything is configured correctly(proper power cables without adapters, etc) and the GPU refuses to function;
i would first test it in another system.
if there isn't one available on the premises; try a friend's, family member's, coworker's, etc.

where did you purchase it? was it from an actual retailer or through a 3rd party seller on a retail site?
and was it listed as new, re-certified, refurbished, used...?

Charan Karthikeyan

Honorable
Mar 11, 2015
if everything is configured correctly(proper power cables without adapters, etc) and the GPU refuses to function;
i would first test it in another system.
if there isn't one available on the premises; try a friend's, family member's, coworker's, etc.

where did you purchase it? was it from an actual retailer or through a 3rd party seller on a retail site?
and was it listed as new, re-certified, refurbished, used...?
I did install everythig in properly atleast thats what I think, since the RGB on the GPU is turning on.I dont have anyone near me and I bought it of bestbuy and it is new

Charan Karthikeyan

Honorable
Mar 11, 2015
Is the monitor hooked up. Are you using a DP1.4 cable or HDMI 2.1, sometimes the cards won't handshake initially with DP and sometimes using the wrong cable can give that error as the card has bandwidth issues.
I have the monitor hooked up but no response and I am using a HDMI 2.1. Will I have to take the bandwidth under consideration for the HDMI one as well?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
No. That cable should be just fine. Assuming the cable is actually plugged into the gpu, sorry but you'd be surprised how many miss that part.

Have you tried booting the pc with the cable attached to gpu, but not the monitor, then plugging in the monitor before post hits the vga? Hdmi and dp both require a handshake and if that doesn't happen, no signal and vga error.

That board also has a second pcie x16 slot, which is run through the motherboard chipset I believe, not direct cpu lanes like the primary slot. If you put it in the second slot, it might force recognition of the gpu, and once that happens and the gpu is actually loaded into bios, it should then post if you move the gpu back.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS