[SOLVED] MSI Afterburner fan curve not working? Also GPU heat problems

zombie1801

Prominent
Jun 24, 2020
My 1660 Super gets to 80+ Celcius, which i dont really understand why, I have 2 fans pulling air from directly under the GPU and the GPU is pulling the air straight from the fan, so youd think itd be chilly but its not. I have my fan curve set to straight 70 fan speed, but when my GPU hits 80, it ramps up. This annoys the ever living <Mod Edit> out of me, does anyone know why it may not be working? I would also like to know why my GPU gets so hot, its 50 idle and it averages 75-80 under 85-100% load. It usually hovers on 75 when playing most games, but games like Warzone and Apex Legends it hits 80 and my fans start to ramp up. I have an InWin 101 case with 1 intake in the back, 2 intake on the bottom under the GPU, and a radiator with 2 exhaust fans on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
which 1660 S?

Afterburner is known to have issues with 3rd party card's fan control.
many times it can only control a single fan and others will stop or run on their default profile,
many times it will show incorrect information regarding their speeds,
many times it will fail to offer any control whatsoever.

the author of MSI Afterburner has even commented that he is aware of the issue(s) and has no plans to address them in the future.
works fine for MSI cards and that's who paid them.
which 1660 S?

many times it can only control a single fan and others will stop or run on their default profile,

the author of MSI Afterburner has even commented that he is aware of the issue(s) and has no plans to address them in the future.

Solution

zombie1801

Prominent
Jun 24, 2020
which 1660 S?

i have the EVGA card. Is there any other software you could recommend? The fan speeds work fine for me, the fan curve is the only problem ive had with afterburner so far.

would I be able to use RivaTuner without Afterburner?
i would first try the Precision X1 OSD rather than have the two applications running together unnecessarily.
when i last used an EVGA card it worked fine with some games but many it would not appear.
i reported quite a few and it's been a couple years so hopefully they would've fixed\updated it.

but yes, RTSS can run on it's own.
also gives a bit more options when using it's own menu to setup vs Afterburner's.

zombie1801

Prominent
Jun 24, 2020
i would first try the Precision X1 OSD rather than have the two applications running together unnecessarily.
when i last used an EVGA card it worked fine with some games but many it would not appear.
i reported quite a few and it's been a couple years so hopefully they would've fixed\updated it.

but yes, RTSS can run on it's own.
also gives a bit more options when using it's own menu to setup vs Afterburner's.
Will do. Thanks for the help!

Reactions: JohnBonhamsGhost