Question MSI Afterburner & RTX 2080 Super issues

Aug 29, 2019
Hi all,

I need some help troubleshooting my GPU, I've been trying to figure out whether there is a serious problem with my GPU or whether it is the program that I've been using. Anyway here are my specs;

• MSI MEG z390 ACE
  • MSI RTX 2080 Super Gaming X Trio
  • Display Drivers: 436.15 (Latest as of the 28th Aug 2019)
  • MSI Afterburner 462 Beta 2 (Latest as of the 28th Aug 2019)

So, I've been using MSI Afterburner to set up the fan but the fan doesn't seem to be kicking in (it's intermittent). I was running Kombustor earlier and the temp went up to 72c and the fans fluctuate between 43% & 72% (in Afterburner). I don't think that's normal & I'm not entirely sure why it isn't sticking to my fan curve setup or to a set fan percentage.

I originally had the normal Afterburner installed but read on some forums that some users were able to fix this issue with updating it to Beta 2 which i then did and still doesn't seem to work.

Any suggestions?

What's the make and model of your power supply unit ? Try doing a CLEAN re-install of the MSI AB tool. First remove all previously saved game profiles, fan curves, voltage, power limit, or any other GPU parameter.

After that install MSI AB once again. Does your card feature the 0dB technology, meaning the fans won't spin unless the GPU temp crosses 60 C ?

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2019
What's the make and model of your power supply unit ? Try doing a CLEAN re-install of the MSI AB tool. First remove all previously saved game profiles, fan curves, voltage, power limit, or any other GPU parameter.

After that install MSI AB once again. Does your card feature the 0dB technology, meaning the fans won't spin unless the GPU temp crosses 60 C ?

Hi,

I have a Thermaltake Toughpower DPS G 850W power supply, I have no idea about the 0db technology but even on normal idle use of the machine the fans spin slowly ~25% according to Afterburner when running on auto.

All I'm trying to do is set up a personalized fan curve on Afterburner and the GPU/Afterburner won't follow it, even when I try to increase the fan % to 100% for testing purposes and I hit the big tick saving the new setup the fans sometimes spool up for a split second then they go back down to the normal rpm operating range with the slider going all the way down.