MSI Afterburner won't go passed 950 MHZ

full_out

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
I have been pushing my VisionTek 6970 to see how far it will overclock. I have got the GPU up to 950 Mhz and want to push further, but the MSI Afterburner slider only goes up to 950 Mhz. Is there a way to bypass that to make the frequencies higher?

mar4e

Distinguished
May 14, 2010

You can go past those frequencies but you might need to up the voltage on your Gpu and you should also overclock the memory, this will give you more performance.

full_out

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011

I have bumped the voltage to 1.2 to get the frequencies to 950/1450, but didn't realize that you can push the frequencies passed where the sliders end. I will update later to what I push out of it.

RussK1

Splendid

That causes more problems half the time... every time I did it I would bluescreen and was unable to boot... would have to enter safe mode and change the config file back to original.

I did the config file with Afterburner and I thought you also had to fill in the EULA text
http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=182403
that is a guide to unlocking Afterburner
it worked for me
really no limit on core/mem with that change
but I found Afterburner to be very "glitchy"
caused instability for me
I switched to ATI Tray Tools
http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=733

That works well for me
the GUI is not the fanciest
actually just works out of your taskbar as an icon
really easy to set profiles
Nortons 2011 sees it as a security risk because of a low level driver installation causing a false positive
scanned with MalwareBytes,Kaspersky and Mcafee Stinger and came out great

try Afterburner first and see if it is running well for you
alot of people review it as a good program
for me it caused issues

RussK1

Splendid

You do have to paste the EULA in there...

I use AB simply for the fan profile, but the link I provided above is above and beyond 3rd party apps. It's simple - download, run, set profile, click button to create file and it'll merge the entry into reg. and you'll be prompted to reboot. It's great if you don't want to use 3rd party apps...
racerx.jpg

after merge-
CCC.jpg

That looks pretty good.

I got into BIOS flashing my GPUs so I just increased all my CCC limits in there, as well as changed the default 3D clocks to 870/1200 (from 700/1000). My CCC upper limits are like 1200/1300 I think, but of course I could never reach those.

RussK1

Splendid

Racerx is pretty sweet!

Here's the entry it makes~
reg.jpg

I went up to 1000mhz on the core but wasn't stable in the slightest... I get 950 w/1.2v via AB but the cards run hot with no water loop. The memory on one of my cards don't like to go above 1350mhz so this is where I'm at unfortunately. I tried modding the bios via RBE & ATIwinflash but my cards have locked ROM (I even tried CMD prompt but no joy).

So with the Racerx and AB one can push the cards... well until they can't take it anymore and it's pretty simple.