[SOLVED] MSI B450 Gaming Plus Max VR MOS hot temps!

vish1756

Honorable
Jan 7, 2014
Hi,
My config is:-
ryzen 1700x no oc.
CM hyper 410r RGB cooler.
MSI B450 Gaming plus max motherboard.
32gb trident z @ 3200mhz
GTX 1080.
CM V750 PSU.
Corsair 460x cabinet
(2 intake fans and 1 out fan at the back)

I am using this rig for vfx rendering and i have noticed that while my cpu is under full load my vr mos temps climb above my cpu temps for example while my cpu is sitting at 72 degrees while rendering, my vr mos temp goes till 74 and slowly climbs to 78 degrees everytime within 30mins Im not sure if it will continue to rise beyond 78 if i keep rendering. I am not sure if its a safe temp to have for VR MOS. I am using HWInfo to monitor temps. I am afraid to leave my pc rendering for 8 to 10 hours straight which is the main purpose. I dont see this while gaming since my cpu is not at 100 percent load while gaming. my idle temps are cpu sitting at 38 and vr mos at 46-49 degrees. I need to know what the max temp my mosfets can withstand for a long time before giving out and if the temp i am seeing is alright for rendering for long hours.

Last edited:
Solution
Hi,
ryzen 1700x no oc.
32gb trident z @ 3200mhz
GTX 1080.
CM V750 PSU.
Corsair 460x cabinet

I am using this rig for vfx rendering and i have noticed that while my cpu is under full load my vr mos temps climb above my cpu temps for example while my cpu is sitting at 72 degrees while rendering, my vr mos temp goes till 74 and slowly climbs to 78 degrees everytime within 30mins Im not sure if it will continue to rise beyond 78 if i keep rendering. I am not sure if its a safe temp to have for VR MOS. I am using HWInfo to monitor temps. I am afraid to leave my pc rendering for 8 to 10 hours straight which is the main...
Hi,
ryzen 1700x no oc.
32gb trident z @ 3200mhz
GTX 1080.
CM V750 PSU.
Corsair 460x cabinet

I am using this rig for vfx rendering and i have noticed that while my cpu is under full load my vr mos temps climb above my cpu temps for example while my cpu is sitting at 72 degrees while rendering, my vr mos temp goes till 74 and slowly climbs to 78 degrees everytime within 30mins Im not sure if it will continue to rise beyond 78 if i keep rendering. I am not sure if its a safe temp to have for VR MOS. I am using HWInfo to monitor temps. I am afraid to leave my pc rendering for 8 to 10 hours straight which is the main purpose. I dont see this while gaming since my cpu is not at 100 percent load while gaming. my idle temps are cpu sitting at 38 and vr mos at 46-49 degrees. I need to know what the max temp my mosfets can withstand for a long time before giving out and if the temp i am seeing is alright for rendering for long hours.
The FET's are rated operating temp to 125C so I wouldn't get worried about the VRM temp until it starts rising above 100C.

You're using a cooler that doesn't exhaust air directly onto the VRM heatsink as the stock Ryzen coolers do. One way to provide additional cooling to the VRM is to locate a fan blowing on the heatsink, frequently a dead-air region in many cases. But so long as your VRM is staying below 90C rendering I wouldn't consider it a priority.

Solution

vish1756

Honorable
Jan 7, 2014
The FET's are rated operating temp to 125C so I wouldn't get worried about the VRM temp until it starts rising above 100C.

You're using a cooler that doesn't exhaust air directly onto the VRM heatsink as the stock Ryzen coolers do. One way to provide additional cooling to the VRM is to locate a fan blowing on the heatsink, frequently a dead-air region in many cases. But so long as your VRM is staying below 90C rendering I wouldn't consider it a priority.
I dont think the fan is blowing heat directly on to VRMs since its a tower air cooler with the fan point to the back of the case. Heres a link to the cooler https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/coolers/cpu-air-coolers/hyper-h410r-rgb/ i have placed it like most people do with its fan sitting above the ram sticks, blowing air to the back of the case. I have also noticed that my VCore goes down to 1.25v and stays steady till i render and the moment i stop rendering it starts to vary in 1.25 - 1.35 range. Shouldn't it be higher as per its stock settings?

I dont think the fan is blowing heat directly on to VRMs since its a tower air cooler with the fan point to the back of the case. Heres a link to the cooler https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/coolers/cpu-air-coolers/hyper-h410r-rgb/ i have placed it like most people do with its fan sitting above the ram sticks, blowing air to the back of the case. I have also noticed that my VCore goes down to 1.25v and stays steady till i render and the moment i stop rendering it starts to vary in 1.25 - 1.35 range. Shouldn't it be higher as per its stock settings?
That's the problem with tower coolers, and especially liquid coolers that don't blow air (even warm air off the CPU) onto the VRM heatsink as do the stock Wraithe coolers. Blowing as it does the case fan(s) just take the cooler's exhaust directly out of the case but leaves a dead-air pocket right below them in the area of the VRM.

I've seen some 3D-printed plastic fan ducts they put on the rear case fans that curl down to pick up air directly off the top of the VRM heatsinks. A cool design, too sad nobody sells one. But you can locate a small fan (like 40-50mm) to blow on the heatsink, tied in place with spot ties or make a custom bracket from an old case expansion slot cover plate.

It's normal for voltage to drop as the CPU picks up load, that's called VDroop. It's desireable to control it and that's what LLC is for. But with Ryzen it's actually a double-edge sword as the boosting algorithm likes to keep a higher voltage for boosting when lightly load and lower the voltage to protect the CPU in heavy loads (it's especially pronounced with gen 3 CPU's). So be judicious in use of LLC and if your CPU is staying stable as voltage drops that low I wouldn't worry.

Last edited: