tommycat95

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012
MB: MSI B450 Tomahawk
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16 gb ddr4/2400
CPU: Ryzen 1600
Storage: 3 x Samsung Evo
Asus DVD drive.

I have a strange situation with setting up RAID 1 on this MB. I set the SATA Mode to RAID in the BIOS and boot the machine up. I <ctrl>R are the top of the boot up and get into the RAID setup. All devices are recognized (3 EVOs and 1 DVD Drive). I use two EVOs to put them in RAID1. Raid is created and shows the two EVOs in RAID are online. The other EVO is showing as Ready. I save the configuration and then proceed to install Windows 10 pro. At this point, I load the drivers for AMD RAID (two drivers - rcbottom.inf, rcraid.inf). Only the RAID 1 array drive shows up as installable. I want to install windows 10 on the non-raided EVO, but cannot due to not being able to see or select. I think the drive is bad or something and change the BIOS SATA Mode setting to AHCI and delete the RAID1 array. This time I see all three individual drives and am able to select any of them for Windows 10 install. I have cleared the CMOS, but that did not help. What needs to be done to see the other drive and be able to select it an installable drive?

thanks
t

Try this: Only connect the one SSD you want install the win10 in it.

1. Set the RAID mode in the BIOS, storage section. But don't set the RAID yet.
  2. Then install the win10. After that, shut down the PC, connect other two SSD.
  3. Boot up the PC, using the "Windows Storage Spaces" feature to set up the RAID. Check the linker for hoe to.
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/how-to-set-up-raid-windows-10,36783.html

One more, when you set up the RAID, make sure you select the right drives, don't mix-up the drives.

tommycat95

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012
Thanks cin19. Appreciate your reply. I found out from another site that with the RAID setup on this MB, when the SATA mode is set to RAID, its either RAID everything or nothing. I did not want to use windows storage spaces for setting up the RAID since a lot of the writeups out there say that its slow. So, I returned the 500 gb ssd and got two 250s to put them in a RAID1 and setup windows on that set. With this MB, its either AHCI or RAID and nothing in between. Kinda dumb. My previous build with the intel chipset was RAID for data and AHCI for windows install. Worked just fine for over 6-7 years.

thanks
t