[SOLVED] MSI B450 Tomahawk with Arctic Freezer 34 Esports, how to install it correctly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thealextgm

Commendable
Oct 4, 2017
Got a new cooler Arctic Freezer 34 Esports, when i install the cooler's standoff in the backplate between the motherboard it wobbles if i install the cooler onto standoffs and try tighten it does not fix it, it just goes back and forth. Is my backplate not compatible, i saw on youtube other msi b450 boards and installing correctly. How do i fix this?

Solution
Metal washers are fine AS LONG AS THEY ARE ONLY CONTACTING THE SCREW ITSELF AND/OR THE NUT ITSELF.

The washers can contact any sort of plastic or the motherboard fiberglass without any problem.

What you don't want....is the washers to contact any traces or any components on the motherboard or anything else conductive.

.....and if you go with non-conductive washers.....I would go with plastic and not rubber as rubber compresses and I don't think you will get a nice snug tight fit with rubber unless you crank the screws and that will compress the rubber and can lead to the rubber failing etc.
Obviously it shouldn't wobble.
When I run across things like this is when I try to "make it work".
Can you possibly add some washers to make it work?
Can you buy some longer screws to make it work?
I try just about anything to "make it work".
All you have to do is figure out a way to get the cooler snug.

thealextgm

Commendable
Oct 4, 2017
Obviously it shouldn't wobble.
When I run across things like this is when I try to "make it work".
Can you possibly add some washers to make it work?
Can you buy some longer screws to make it work?
I try just about anything to "make it work".
All you have to do is figure out a way to get the cooler snug.

Are metal washers ok or should i use rubber washers?

Metal washers are fine AS LONG AS THEY ARE ONLY CONTACTING THE SCREW ITSELF AND/OR THE NUT ITSELF.

The washers can contact any sort of plastic or the motherboard fiberglass without any problem.

What you don't want....is the washers to contact any traces or any components on the motherboard or anything else conductive.

.....and if you go with non-conductive washers.....I would go with plastic and not rubber as rubber compresses and I don't think you will get a nice snug tight fit with rubber unless you crank the screws and that will compress the rubber and can lead to the rubber failing etc.

Solution

carmik

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
Apologies for opening this 2-month old thread, but I'm almost in the same boat (ie MSI Tomahawk B450 and Arctic 34 esports duo), albeit with a twist. Installed the AM4 specified standoffs of the Arctic kit on the MSI backplate, BUT it was not possible to install the Arctic at all. The reason was that the standoffs were not tall enough to be extruding sufficiently from the holes on the Arctic kit. In essence it was not possible to put the thumbscrews, without applying excessive pressure on the four corners of the cooler! If I understand correctly, you are having the exact opposite experience here??? Do you have the "plain" Tomahawk or the Max variant (which is newer)?

In any case, I have the plain model and contacted Arctic who informed me that MSI Tomahawk B450 owners have reported the same issue to them! To handle that, Arctic is providing modified backplates and standoffs. From the Arctic support mail:

... (I) send you two brackets (different protruding threads) for AM4 with some different standoffs that would be also for AM4, but they are a little bit longer in size. Maybe that solves the original issue with the short screws.

Status
Not open for further replies.