[SOLVED] MSi B550 Carbon RGB won't turn on?

Jun 6, 2021
It was working fine yesterday, up until I accidentally put my computer into sleep, then woke it up immediately to turn it off. A few hours later I come back to turn it on and the RGB on the motherboard and the case fans hooked up to it won't turn on.

I've tried everything I know of, which isn't much: I have multi-brand peripherals so I uninstalled all RGB software for all of them (Razer Synapse, ASUS Aura, iCue) I tried to turn off, reboot, then turn on the EZ RGB control in the BIOS. I've tried flipping off the power button off and pressing the power button on my PC. I even uninstalled Dragon Centre and reinstalled the new MSi program on the Windows store with a fresh installation of Mystic Light. Nothing.

The RGB on my Corsair RAM, ASUS GPU and AMD stock cooler still work though. The motherboard I'm using is the MSi B550 Carbon WIFI, and the case I'm using is the Cooler Master MasterBox TD500. (The fans for the case are still spinning despite the RGB not working.)

Solution
It's possible it's a glitch profile saved onto your motherboard system, if a BIOS reset won't fix it, you may need to completely reset it by removing the CMOS battery. Hold the power button for 30 seconds and put the battery back in and try again. You may need to go back into your BIOS to tune your settings again, so best to save your current profile beforehand, at least any overclock details.
It's possible it's a glitch profile saved onto your motherboard system, if a BIOS reset won't fix it, you may need to completely reset it by removing the CMOS battery. Hold the power button for 30 seconds and put the battery back in and try again. You may need to go back into your BIOS to tune your settings again, so best to save your current profile beforehand, at least any overclock details.

Solution
Jun 6, 2021

I think you're right. I pulled out the manual for my motherboard, and the two methods it instructs me on how to clear the CMOS is to either use a Jumper or press the clear CMOS button. I tried clearing the CMOS by pressing the clear CMOS button, and upon waiting and starting it back up: sadly I still have the same problem. Would taking out the battery be the best method as opposed to clearing the CMOS via the button on the motherboard?

I think you're right. I pulled out the manual for my motherboard, and the two methods it instructs me on how to clear the CMOS is to either use a Jumper or press the clear CMOS button. I tried clearing the CMOS by pressing the clear CMOS button, and upon waiting and starting it back up: sadly I still have the same problem. Would taking out the battery be the best method as opposed to clearing the CMOS via the button on the motherboard?

Yeah, just make sure you unplug your computer from the wall outlet too, drain ALL power from the board. Without power, most settings should reset to factory default, hopefully that'll fix your RGB issue.

Jun 6, 2021
Yeah, just make sure you unplug your computer from the wall outlet too, drain ALL power from the board. Without power, most settings should reset to factory default, hopefully that'll fix your RGB issue.

Alright, thank you. And is it okay to just use the same battery, (eg remove it and just put it back in) or should I get a new one to replace it? Sorry for the questions, this is the first time I’ve done it.

Jun 6, 2021
Yeah it's fine. taking out the battery just removes all source of backup power your motherboard memory uses to save any non factory settings.

Okay, thank you. I went ahead and did that, removed the battery and waited for a bit before putting it back in, but unfortunately, the RGB still refuses to turn on. :( Is there anything else I might be able to try?

Okay, thank you. I went ahead and did that, removed the battery and waited for a bit before putting it back in, but unfortunately, the RGB still refuses to turn on. :( Is there anything else I might be able to try?

Most likely something wrong with your board then, perhaps a short? I dunno but the fact you reset your board, uninstalled, and then re-installed the rgb software can only mean there's something wrong with it. At least to me, Try going into your motherboard BIOS and playing with any RGB configurations there, that would be your last bet.

This thread also has some help with a similar issue:
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/MSI_Gaming/comments/nd6lmr/problem_with_b550_gaming_carbon_wifi_rgb_light/

TRENDING THREADS